an erased discussion - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2001, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

an erased discussion

Damn, all the newer stuff got erased when everything crashed, and I thought we were in the middle of a pretty good discussion.

That discussion was...should a rookie (as in NEVER ridden before) buy a 600. I said yes for myself, because I have enough willpower and reason to live to keep myself from punching it before I have PLENTY of experience. Plus, I'm a bigger guy, and if I bought anything smaller, I'd feel like I was riding my younger brother's Mongoose. I brought up that fact in another forum on another website (sorry, I didn't write down which) and they suggested buying a 900. But even I know that's not a good idea. So, again, what are everyone's thoughts about a "newbie" buying a used F3 or F4?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 12:24 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Fatman
An F3 or F4 would be fine, but I wouldn't buy anything that I was afraid to drop once or twice, If you've never ridden before it's best to get a beater and learn to ride first.

Build a man a fire, and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Everything I know I learned from killing smart people and eating their brains.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 08:48 AM

Thumbs up

I agree a used 600 would be a good beginer bike especially in terms of performance. My only comment is dropping the bike even in a parking lot would be expensive. I would recommend a naked bike like a used Honda Hawk or an SV650 or even a used 750 standard.

Rick
VFR750

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 09:05 AM

I bought an F3 as my first bike, and love it. My fear was I would "outgrow" a smaller bike as I piled up the miles. The F3 suits me fine and is incredibly easy to drive. (I did put on handlebar risers and a Corbin saddle, which made a HUGE difference on long rides). That being said, I'm always careful to ride within my abilities - if you prone to pushing the envelope, you might do better to get a smaller, cheaper bike that won't set you back to badly if you wad it. Good luck!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, but I have a question for NCVFR....I may just be demonstrating my ignorance here, but wouldn't dropping a naked bike cost more to repair? I would think the chrome parts and whatnot would be tougher to replace than a fiberglass shell.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 10:33 PM

I had an old beater bike for about two months before I got my first sportbike. I got a used 1995 FZR600R and I love it. I don't think a 600 is too much for me as a beginner. But it depends on the rider. There were people in my MSF course that I wouldn't go near even if they were on a 50cc minibike! As long as you stay away from the high RPM's on a 600, its pretty mild. But the power is there if you want to find it. I think a "standard" bike also makes a good beginner bike but after owning an old '82 Seca I can say that a beginner shouldn't buy a "beater". My old Seca made me nervous at anything over 50mph. It was just plain "old". Didn't feel solid or stable. I'm sure that some work could have been put into it to make it feel better but the bike just wasn't worth it. I would have never recouped that money.

As far as it being more costly to crash a sportbike than a standard, it's because the plastic cracks and must be replaced. Have a mild crash a standard and you'll scratch it up, maybe break a shift lever or brake lever or something like that, but you can ride a "scratched" bike. Fixing scratches is optional. Fixing a broken fairing isn't.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 05:59 AM

Get whatever is within you budget, and phuck what everbody thinks or says. If you want a new 600, buy it. I'd even consider a GSXR750. Who cares? I know quite a few people who bought new sportbikes as their first. They didn't go out and wad the things. Most of them have become damn good riders.

Get whichever bike blows your skirt up, and have fun!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 08:17 AM

Lightbulb

Plastic is very expensive. Even a parking lot incident can cost $1,000. A guy backed into my vfr several years ago and did $1200 damage and the bike was covered which saved some stuff.

Naked bikes usually only have minor cometic damage or broken turn signals or levers. All these things are relatively cheap. A brake lever cost $20 a side plastic panel $250 and up.

I agree if cost or minor tip overs are not important get a 600 sprotbike. Most of us can be happy with one for many years. I still prefer 600's and 750's to open class bikes due to weight and operating costs (insurance).

Rick
NCVFR
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Does anyone else think a GSXR750 would be within a newbie's limits? I thought it'd just be too quick; and from what I've heard, Suzuki usually has a pretty rough powerband, would I get to 8000rpms and get thrown off the bike?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 06:13 PM

I don't think that any bike would "throw you off" once you get to 8000 rpms. It is all in how you control the throttle, especially in the corners. I have no doubt that a person can learn on any bike.

But I don't think that a GSXR would make a good first bike period. Why? There are plenty of reasons that have all been stated here before, but I think it boils down to too much, too fast. You start out scared. You gain confidence. You pull off a move or two, maybe a wheelie. You start to take corners a little. The you start to screw around a little harder. Too much throttle in a turn, or coming in "too hot" before you really know exactly how far you can push that bike, or just plain getting in over your head is a lot easier to do in a shorter amount of time. Can you do all of these things on a 600? Yes. So why do I say it is okay to have a 600 as a first streetbike? Because I had one. No, that's not why. Because an older CBR can get you into trouble, but the odds are not as highly stacked against you. The power band is not nearly as peaky. I think the F3 or F4 is more forgiving with a new rider. You are more likely to crash your first bike than any other. If you are going to crash, would you rather be on a slower, less expensive bike or a pricey race machine going 20-50% faster? Would like to hear other opinions on this one.

bRad

Last edited by raveosaurus; 06-19-2001 at 06:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode