R6 vs R1 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums > Manufacturer Specific > Yamaha

Old 04-09-2005, 02:27 AM   #1
Juke'n round

Default R6 vs R1

Why bother with an R1 if the R6 is almost as capable. Fact of the matter is R1 is not even a second faster in the 1/4 mile(that like the differance between smoking your tires and just chirping them off the line). The Top speed difference is roughly 10mph. Yeah, the R1 has the roll-on advantage, but an R6 rider can downshift to keep up. All the R6's shortcomings can be fixed with performance upgrades to match an R1. Honestly, most people may never push their bikes to those limits. Why would ya pay $3k-$4k more to ride an R1???

Lets see what this stirs up...
Juke'n round is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2005, 09:14 AM   #2
magis70

Default .....

One word....TORQUE! Ive been riding a 600 for over a year and its still got alot more power than i need, or should have, but for town and highway, its a fuckin pain having to rev it all the time(not to mention deafening/annoying with a D&D pipe), thats why im moving up to a bigger bike, more torque for cruising and gettin around on a daily basis, for the twisties id take the 600 anyday though.
magis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 08:16 PM   #3
bridomine99

Default Pipe

Shoot me an email if you would like to sell the D&D.

Bridomine99@hotmail.com
Old 04-10-2005, 02:25 PM   #4
cookeetree

Default Re: .....

Quote:
Originally posted by magis70
One word....TORQUE!...its a fuckin pain having to rev it all the time...
Yeah, I found the same when I moved from a 250 to a 600.

Can't wait to move on up again, to an 1100.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:14 PM   #5
quikslipper

yep, with a 600cc bike, it's a lot at the higher rpms when it comes down to riding the highways and it's very loud (w/ aftermarket exhaust). Other than that though, I love my R6 and the way it looks. I think looks a lot more aggressive than the R1 looking at it from the front.
quikslipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 09:59 PM   #6
Mr.TrevorClever

Aaron Gobert Yamaha Yamaha YZF-R1 2:16.557
Aaron Gobert Yamaha Yamaha YZF-R6 2:20.580

These are Gobert's qualifying times recently at road america for superstock and supersport.

I know neither are stock bikes, but the difference is clear why you get an R1 over a R6. It would cost a lot of money to take one second off of a quarter mile time, and it would take even more cash to take 4 seconds off a lap time (using the example above). So 3-4K extra is worth it if you are going to use the power. I would agree that an R6 can suffice and is just as much fun.

Trevor

"When I drink, something happens. This guy called Buzzy comes out. And he proceeds to do whatever he wants, I guess'' - Wayne Rainey
Mr.TrevorClever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 11:06 PM   #7
sidewaysducati

Why a liter instead of a 6?
Umm.. because it's a liter?

More power sooner. More power "on tap".

The 600s need to be revved out, maximized. The liters set your balls on fire and give you a silent scream in your throat at 8,000 RPM. And there's still 3,500 to go before redline.
sidewaysducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 10:37 AM   #8
jgos929

$3 or$4 extra thousand for an R-1 can you say $1K for every 100cc's thats the difference in your phantom R-6 thats supposedly no different than an R-1. You must be blind and the people at yamaha must have been blind and stupid when they made an identical bike with a 400cc difference and there in fact be no difference. I dont know who's R-1 your riding but come ride mine and you'll never look back R-6 WHAT!!!!!!
Old 06-16-2005, 08:41 PM   #9
DanQ
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
Why a liter instead of a 6?
Umm.. because it's a liter?

More power sooner. More power "on tap".

The 600s need to be revved out, maximized. The liters set your balls on fire and give you a silent scream in your throat at 8,000 RPM. And there's still 3,500 to go before redline.
Uhm... no... at 8k rpm I still have 5750 rpm to go before redline. But not as much torque as the longer stroke 1 liter bikes.
2005 20th Anniversary V-Max (0098/2000) - T boost, Corbin Seat
2005 YZF R6 track bike - Graves full exhaust, Race Tech suspension
DanQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 08:45 PM   #10
sidewaysducati

Quote:
Originally posted by DanQ
Uhm... no... at 8k rpm I still have 5750 rpm to go before redline. But not as much torque as the longer stroke 1 liter bikes.
Uhm... The redline changed between the two model years. Derrr.
sidewaysducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement