Sportbike World banner

R6 vs R1

82K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  DanQ 
#1 ·
Why bother with an R1 if the R6 is almost as capable. Fact of the matter is R1 is not even a second faster in the 1/4 mile(that like the differance between smoking your tires and just chirping them off the line). The Top speed difference is roughly 10mph. Yeah, the R1 has the roll-on advantage, but an R6 rider can downshift to keep up. All the R6's shortcomings can be fixed with performance upgrades to match an R1. Honestly, most people may never push their bikes to those limits. Why would ya pay $3k-$4k more to ride an R1???:confused:

Lets see what this stirs up...

#2 ·

One word....TORQUE! Ive been riding a 600 for over a year and its still got alot more power than i need, or should have, but for town and highway, its a fuckin pain having to rev it all the time(not to mention deafening/annoying with a D&D pipe), thats why im moving up to a bigger bike, more torque for cruising and gettin around on a daily basis, for the twisties id take the 600 anyday though.

#5 ·
yep, with a 600cc bike, it's a lot at the higher rpms when it comes down to riding the highways and it's very loud (w/ aftermarket exhaust). Other than that though, I love my R6 and the way it looks. I think looks a lot more aggressive than the R1 looking at it from the front.

#6 ·
Aaron Gobert Yamaha Yamaha YZF-R1 2:16.557
Aaron Gobert Yamaha Yamaha YZF-R6 2:20.580

These are Gobert's qualifying times recently at road america for superstock and supersport.

I know neither are stock bikes, but the difference is clear why you get an R1 over a R6. It would cost a lot of money to take one second off of a quarter mile time, and it would take even more cash to take 4 seconds off a lap time (using the example above). So 3-4K extra is worth it if you are going to use the power. I would agree that an R6 can suffice and is just as much fun.

Trevor

#8 ·
$3 or$4 extra thousand for an R-1 can you say $1K for every 100cc's thats the difference in your phantom R-6 thats supposedly no different than an R-1. You must be blind and the people at yamaha must have been blind and stupid when they made an identical bike with a 400cc difference and there in fact be no difference. I dont know who's R-1 your riding but come ride mine and you'll never look back R-6 WHAT!!!!!!

#9 ·
sidewaysducati said:
Why a liter instead of a 6?
Umm.. because it's a liter?

More power sooner. More power "on tap".

The 600s need to be revved out, maximized. The liters set your balls on fire and give you a silent scream in your throat at 8,000 RPM. And there's still 3,500 to go before redline.
Uhm... no... at 8k rpm I still have 5750 rpm to go before redline. But not as much torque as the longer stroke 1 liter bikes.

#11 ·
I saw a R1 for sale with the ignition wiring off a R6, so it was able to redline at 16,000RPM. I doubt you get anymore power, but maybe youre just able to hold speeds in the turn longer without shifting. Boy what a ride it'd be.

#12 ·
sidewaysducati said:
Uhm... The redline changed between the two model years. Derrr.
I know they did .... but your statement sounded absolute. Different bore and stroke on the 04. More RPM, but loss of some midrange torque.

The 03 on down was a blast in the mid-range, but the 04 is a screamer in the top end.

Derrr???

#13 ·
DanQ said:
I know they did .... but your statement sounded absolute. Different bore and stroke on the 04. More RPM, but loss of some midrange torque.

The 03 on down was a blast in the mid-range, but the 04 is a screamer in the top end.

Derrr???
Right, but what I'm saying is that since the liters displace more, they make more power, so whether one liter is more or less "pipey" than another is beside the point.

Take a given 600 and a given liter. A rider could come closer to utilizing the full potential of the 600 a lot sooner than they could come as close to utilizing the full potential of a liter, particularly on the street. Whether they could ever really get there, on either one, is up for discussion, but nonetheless, there's more power to throw around with a liter than a 600.

As far as 600 vs. liter, my thinking on it is, if a rider is experienced enough with sportbikes to know how to properly handle the geometry of them, why not get the liter, and keep the 'glass ceiling of horsepower' as high as possible.:2cents:

#14 ·
Must be the 180 lb rider. I can't do squat with a 600 unless you start replacing suspension parts. At 230 lbs, I use up a 600 suspension pretty quick. Thus, I run the 1000s.

The question I still have about the derrrr, is who was that directed at? I'm very well aware that the redline changed between the two model years, and I am aware of which of the 200+ changes made between the model years caused it.

Your statement "The liters set your balls on fire and give you a silent scream in your throat at 8,000 RPM. And there's still 3,500 to go before redline." seemed to be absolute for all liter bikes, and I simply pointed out that my liter bike has a higher redline. You replied with a statement there were differences between the model years, and ended it with derrrr. So I am asking a simple question: is the derrrr because I stated I had a higher redline, or because you didn't think about it when you said there were still 3500 rpms after 8000 for redline?

And before anyone asks... no. I do not look around forums to start arguments over trivial points. But I have been on and moderated enough to know that the internet means of communication often leaves the reader lacking the intent of a statement. So I'm asking. Clarify please?

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
DanQ said:
Must be the 180 lb rider. I can't do squat with a 600 unless you start replacing suspension parts. At 230 lbs, I use up a 600 suspension pretty quick. Thus, I run the 1000s.

The question I still have about the derrrr, is who was that directed at? I'm very well aware that the redline changed between the two model years, and I am aware of which of the 200+ changes made between the model years caused it.

Your statement "The liters set your balls on fire and give you a silent scream in your throat at 8,000 RPM. And there's still 3,500 to go before redline." seemed to be absolute for all liter bikes, and I simply pointed out that my liter bike has a higher redline. You replied with a statement there were differences between the model years, and ended it with derrrr. So I am asking a simple question: is the derrrr because I stated I had a higher redline, or because you didn't think about it when you said there were still 3500 rpms after 8000 for redline?

And before anyone asks... no. I do not look around forums to start arguments over trivial points. But I have been on and moderated enough to know that the internet means of communication often leaves the reader lacking the intent of a statement. So I'm asking. Clarify please?
Look, when I said "8,000" RPM, I think it's clear what I was trying to say. My point comes through when my post is read, but you seem bent on smashing my balls, even when I tried to be fairly polite and explain myself in my last post.

You're busting my f*****g balls, DanQ, and I don't need that s**t from you.

I'm done trying to play handball against the curtains. Good day to you sir.

#18 ·
sidewaysducati said:
Look, when I said "8,000" RPM, I think it's clear what I was trying to say. My point comes through when my post is read, but you seem bent on smashing my balls, even when I tried to be fairly polite and explain myself in my last post.

You're busting my f*****g balls, DanQ, and I don't need that s**t from you.

I'm done trying to play handball against the curtains. Good day to you sir.
I'm not trying to bust your nuts about the technical stuff, just trying to figure out what the last part of your statement meant.

I'm not questioning that part of the statements. The 8k rpm point could have been stated as "several thousand rpm left" and been as clear.

The only part I'm asking about is the part you haven't addressed. For whom was the derrrr statement? If you are being condescending towards me, that is what I am trying to ascertain. If it had other meaning, please state so. Just trying to figure out where it stands, since there were no emoticons or anything else to show it's intent. And I have been doing it within the confines of civility and decent language.

If I'm out of line, please tell me.

#20 ·
That's about what I figured.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.