Sportbike World banner

best mods to up power on R1

21K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Smitty 
#1 ·
If things were right in the world I'd be on my way to the dealer to tomorrow to buy the only new R1 he can get his hands on,does'nt have it yet,but the price on these things being what they are,$14900 Cdn,it looks as though I'm going to buy either the 03 he has or possibly a used one of the 00 or 01 vintage(Red/White & Black).Dealers don't seem to be willing to negotiate too much on these bikes as they are so rare,around here anyway.So I would like to know from those that have a 2000/01 model what the best mods are for this bike,cams,ignition module,pipe/slip on,etc that would bring the hp #'s up but not make the engine unreliable and hard to live with.
I'd also like to know what can be done with the 02/03 bikes as far as hp adding mods.I like the idea of having a fuel injected engine but am not sure how far a person can go with one and still have a decent street ride.Thanks.

#2 ·
It sounds(??) as if riding sportbikes will be knew to you due to the questions. After all where does on need the extra power for an R1 on the hwys. After all where does on need the extra power for at a low of 5 thou in 6th cog you will be well above the max speed limit of most roads here in Cdn.

It you were going to road race the bike then you would not be asking US but fellow roadracing friends & KNOW that just a slip on is only 'sound' & no gain in power.

So all I can say is please get things in tune as to what you will be doing with the bike, if you are experienced to ride this powerful 1000 & just so much more?

No I am not trying to be smart, but just like most of us ----- we do not want to read about fellow riders that are killed on m/cs or become vegitable cases.

Remember that any sportbike is NOT for those new to riding or as the Owners Manual say "Not for Inexperienced Riders".

Lastly I suggest you go to info offered on New Riders to back discussions on those wanting a sportbike as their first bike.

#3 ·
I guess I should have stated the point in my first post but no I'm not new to sportbikes just the R1.Yes the power output of a stock bike is probably plenty for the type of riding I plan to do but I just want to know my options.I agree with the slip on point,being that they are just lighter and louder with no real power gains,the exhaust stinger I put on my snowmobile is for those reasons only,mainly that it is lighter.

#5 ·
Tough call: as I street racer, I grew up always wanting more power. These liter bikes today have close to 150 hp on 400 lbs and by my estimate, that's a pretty good power to weight ratio.

There will always be people who want more power and if that';s what you want, there is no limit to what you can do. That bike can be bumped up to well over 300 horsepower (engine, exhaust, electronics, blower, nitrous, etc.) if you want, but why?

Just be careful. :cool:

#6 ·
Word is floating around on other m/c boards about problems with the '04 R1 when being broken in. Seemingly a flyer has gone out to the American Yamaha dealers to where some of it must be done by the mechanic when he prepares the bike. VERY, very strange I must admit.

True when they first came out the clutch basket had to be changed as not strong enough, but also the same with Honda 929 along with a fuel line, Suzy has had problems as well in prior yrs. Still this is the first for '04 on any of the bikes & it is on R1.

#8 ·
That is the memo to the dealers I was talking about, still it is the first time I have seen any of the power-plant parts.

Possibility this chap was doing wheelies right from the start & has a reputation for it, but we cannot tell. Though wheelies on bikes does mean starvation of oil to the rest of the powerplant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.