Life Expectancy of sport bikes.... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums > Sportbike Related > New Riders

Old 07-25-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
5Lgreenback

Default Life Expectancy of sport bikes....

Hey all

Im looking into a 2003 CBR600RR. Im just curious as to the mileage expectancies you get out of a sport bike. The one Im interested in has 20,000kms (about 12,000 miles). Assuming its been maintained alright, how many miles would you expect to get out of one of these bikes before major components are in danger of requiring replacement (Ie, engine, gearbox)? I realize you cant set a mileage limit in stone, just wondering what some of your experiences have been.

Also, are there any snags/common problems on this model year that I should look into?

Thanks in advance
5Lgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2009, 03:16 AM   #2
kanwisch
Strength and Honor

A sportbike can last well past 100k miles depending, as you note, on how it was treated/ridden/maintained.

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
kanwisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
Jester
Resident Smart Ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwisch View Post
A sportbike can last well past 100k miles depending, as you note, on how it was treated/ridden/maintained.
+1

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:25 PM   #4
5Lgreenback

Right on.... Thanks
5Lgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:31 PM   #5
snakesht
Lifetime Premium

I know of (and have ridden) an 04 600RR that has racked up a very torturous 40K+ miles and still runs like it is new. These bikes are one step down from bulletproof. Not to say they won't break down before then, but if the bike has been maintained, I'd say it's fine.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:49 PM   #6
ARKninjaZX9

This courier acrooss the big pond put 1,000,000 miles on a VFR 750...he did have 2 different engines with aprox 500,000 on each
Old 08-02-2009, 07:37 AM   #7
duessel

Do a search for this exact topic in past postings. There are a ton of good replies by some veteran's here.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:21 PM   #8
toplinedriver

Im new to this forum stuff but was told that I probably could get some decent help on do little things to this 1991 750 Katana I just bought. Currently, I am trying to install the clutch cable and would like some help
toplinedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:24 AM   #9
kanwisch
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by toplinedriver View Post
Im new to this forum stuff but was told that I probably could get some decent help on do little things to this 1991 750 Katana I just bought. Currently, I am trying to install the clutch cable and would like some help
When you have a question you need an answer to, try using the Search first. Picking the unique words to the situation will greatly increase your chances of success. For instance, we often get a lot of, "Which first bike should I buy if I haven't ridden before?" Narrowing that to "first bike" for the Search yields LOTS of results.

If you don't find what you're looking for, then start at the listing of forums, reading their purposes, and click on one. Then click on the New Thread link on the page, put in a Title, and type the question in the big white box in the middle of the page.

And to generally answer your question, use Google.com or Ebay.com to find a service manual for your bike. You'll absolutely need that if you're going to undertake any maintenance work yourself.

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
kanwisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement