R1 oil type? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums > Manufacturer Specific > Yamaha

Old 01-08-2008, 06:24 PM   #1
ezrollin

Default R1 oil type?

I heard that motorcycles should take a special type of oil.

What does the R1 take?

Its a 2003 BTW

Looking to use Synthetic

thanks
ezrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2008, 04:07 AM   #2
Vash

Please tell me you are not buying an r1 for your first bike. thats a real bad idea.

There are motorcycle specific oils out there, most notably by amsoil. Those are good but expensive. A bike can use any oil that doesnt have molybdenum friction modifiers, as those will cause your clutch to slip. If the oil says "energy conserving" on it, dont use it. Also, some oils will cause your transmittion to not shift as well, its pretty much a guessing game. Its not very common, but it does happen. If you change oil and shifting gets more difficult, go to a different brand.

Also, dont use synthetic on a new engine (less than 3000 miles)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe
MySpace
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:39 AM   #3
mkeeney

The best oil info I've found is here:
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Consumables.html#Oil

Here's the background info:
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html
Old 01-09-2008, 08:35 AM   #4
ezrollin

no not buying an r1 as my first bike but if I could I DAM sure would. A couple days ago I rode my friends 2003 R1 back from San Antonio which is a 4 hour drive. I'm not gonna say how fast I was going cause that would make me look like more of an idiot lol
That bike is teh sex on wheels! Orgasmic
Old 01-09-2008, 09:05 AM   #5
Vash

Quote:
Originally posted by ezrollin
no not buying an r1 as my first bike but if I could I DAM sure would. A couple days ago I rode my friends 2003 R1 back from San Antonio which is a 4 hour drive. I'm not gonna say how fast I was going cause that would make me look like more of an idiot lol
That bike is teh sex on wheels! Orgasmic
Well, after that one you dont need to say how fast you were going. Cmon now, gotta be smarter than that. You know how fast those bikes are? Thats how fast things go from "I'm having the time of my life" to "Oh shit I'm going to die". Hell most of the time you wont have a time to think that. A friend of mine wrecked his '05 r1 braking in a straight line!

From his blog
Quote:
Ha ha oh fuck yeah. I just fucking ate shit like an hour ago. It was fucking great! Like there were three of us, riding through the mountain roads. No big deal, except that it'd just fucking rained apparently. And my ass was just cruising down a straight away right. How the fuck do you crash on a straight away?? But nah seriously I think there's something wrong with my brakes, cuz' they'd done this shit before, but I'd regained control. Anyways what happened was I was cruising, at like 80 something mph and the dude in front of me hit his brakes, so of course I'm gonna hit mine, cuz I don't wanna hit him. So yeah I have this habit of using both brakes, front and rear, and i barely touched the rear brake, but it locked up instantly. And swung my ass around. I tried to regain control and swung around to the other side, which when that happend I was like oh fuck, I ain't gonna get control of this bitch. Fucking motherfucker whipped back around, threw my ass down into the fucking road. And there was about a second that I was afraid and I thought, "I'm not gonna be ok." Luckily I had worn my jacket and my helmet today, only cuz' I thought it might rain on me, cuz I rarely ever wear that shit. So basically what happend was that I spun around on my back for like I don't know how many times, I looked over to my right, and my bike was spinning around, right fucking next to me. Sparking and shit. it was horrible. But eventually I fucking stopped, got right up. And i was fucking amazed. Like wow, if only you could see what I saw. It was so great! I am so fucking happy that I'm ok. I picked my bike up, took me a while to get it started, then I rode it back to where I came from. It was definately an experience, not something I'd wish upon someone, but damn, that shit is neat. And I'm just so happy right now. And in awe. I ruined my dickies though and my DC's, and my A7X shirt, and my chain to my wallet. Also the bike is pretty fucked up, but not really that bad since I rode it back. But it's ugly as fuck. Covered in mud and shit. But OMG I am just so fucking happy to be ok. Didn't lose any body parts or anything. Hurray!
Dont know how he rode that bike home, it was really fucked.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe
MySpace
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:39 AM   #6
ezrollin

LoL well said!
glad hes okay
too bad the 05 R1 died!

Did you all have a funeral?
Or were you all able to replace parts?
thanks

Did I mention the R1 is an AWESOME bike?
Old 01-09-2008, 12:58 PM   #7
CypreSs187

yamalube is suggested by yamaha dealers for my R6, I assume it works fine for the R1 too.
CypreSs187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:39 AM   #8
mkeeney

Quote:
Originally posted by CypreSs187
yamalube is suggested by yamaha dealers for my R6, I assume it works fine for the R1 too.
Why spend that extra money on dealer oil when there are equivalent or better products out there for less? Buy oil at Wal-Mart or an auto parts store.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:13 AM   #9
ezrollin

Quote:
Originally posted by mkeeney
Why spend that extra money on dealer oil when there are equivalent or better products out there for less? Buy oil at Wal-Mart or an auto parts store.
well.......... what should I use and what Weight? Mobil-1 fully synthetic?

where do I get a filter and what kind?
I know autozone doesnt have it.

thanks

Last edited by ezrollin; 01-10-2008 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:47 AM   #10
mkeeney

Quote:
Originally posted by ezrollin
well.......... what should I use and what Weight? Mobil-1 fully synthetic?

where do I get a filter and what kind?
I know autozone doesnt have it.

thanks
I use the Shell Rotella 5W-40 full synthetic. I buy it at Wal-Mart in 1 gallon jugs.

For the R1, you should use the Purolator PureOne filter, PL14612. If there is enough room behind the fairing, use the longer PL14610. I get mine from Advance Auto.

I highly suggest reading the links I posted earlier, plus these on filters:

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Con...tml#OilFilters

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Fil...tml#OilFilters

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement