rebuilt title - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums > Sportbike Related > Daily Rider

Old 04-12-2004, 07:56 AM   #1
tailgunn

Default rebuilt title

Anyone have experience with a bike that has a prior salvage or rebuilt title? I am looking at an '01 zx9 that has been rebuilt and has a rebuilt title. Will insurance companies deal with this bike? Should I be paying significantly less for it? It's totally street legal. I think book is $6200 and they want $4500. It has 6K miles but I don't yet know what was the previous damage. It was done by a professional rebuilder and has a sweet custom silver paint job. Thanks.
tailgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2004, 08:06 AM   #2
monkey

Default Re: rebuilt title

Quote:
Originally posted by tailgunn
I think book is $6200 and they want $4500.
i don't think there is a technical book value on salvage titled bikes. here in MA, once you have a salvage title, you keep the salvage title, though it may be able to be rode legally after rebuilding. i heard of other states allowing clean titles after proof of rebuilding and inspection, but not here. you can't get a clean title after a salvage title was issued.

personally, i'd stay away from any salvage title bikes.

Katie has a nice "spice rack".

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 08:35 AM   #3
DreamRyder
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph

my 929 had a salvage title because i fixed it after I hit the deer but the INsurance called it a total loss and I bought it back... I had to have it pass a safety inspection at the Sheriffs dept to get the salvage title converted to a rebuilt title.. Progressive gives me full coverage despite it being a rebuilt title but you have to have the inspection completed first... I dont' know if I'd trust a salvage title for just any bike but I guess it depends on what was damaged in the first place...

E.
btw if you want to get insurance on it you'll want the original owner to deal with making hte salvage title into a rebuilt one... alot of paperwork involved with showing receipts and proof of purchase from dealers or individuals with their vin #'s from the bikes the parts came off of.. to cut down on people buying stolen parts more or less

If it's too good to be true... then you must be Dreaming.

ONLY FEMALE WORLD WIDE to run in the 7's with a Prostreet Bike (no bar, slider, 2step, or slicks)

Sponsored by: RCC Turbo, Bellman Oil, Syed Leathers, Schnitz Racing, Boost by Smith, Cycle-Tek, Tiger Racing, Machine Works Racing, R&R Trailers by RandPCarriages.com, Mirror Look Customs, Rev'd Up Motorsports, and ofcourse SportBike World !
DreamRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 09:31 AM   #4
Wally

My R6 and my friends 996 both have rebuilt titles. If they're rebuilt they can be treated pretty much like clear title bikes except that they'll just have a note somewhere on the title. My R6 was given a rebuilt title in PA and the 996 was given one in Wisconsin. Both we transferred to NY without any problems, and I don't have the slightest idea whether or not my insurance company knows its rebuilt although I'm pretty sure they don't care.

So my experience with rebuilt titles has been no prob, just be extra careful making sure the bike is in fact in good shape.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 11:13 AM   #5
tailgunn

It has already been through the inspection process and has been issued a Missouri rebuilt salvage title, so it's legal to register. In IL it's a little more complicated to do it in-state, but they accept rebuilt titles ust like regular ones.
The book value is for a clear title bike; I didn't mention that. The guy that has it does this for a living. He buys salvage german cars and bikes, rebuilds them and sells 'em. If I buy I would have a ppi done by a mechanic first.
Thanks for the thoughts.
tailgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 07:49 PM   #6
bridomine99

As far as the value goes.... I have heard from a few different sources that a good rule of thumb is 60-70% of the value with a clean title. Granted this does not apply to all buyers, but it can be used as a rough estimate.
Advertisement