CBR F4i vs YZF 600R - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums > Sportbike Related > New Riders

Old 05-02-2002, 09:32 AM   #1
sjn2560

Question CBR F4i vs YZF 600R

OK, everyone has convinced me to go with a 600 instead of a Ninja 500 for my second bike (see Ninja 250 vs Ninja 500). The two I am leaning towards are the 2002 CBR and 2002 YZF (non R6). I know the Yam is an older model, heavier and a little slower.

Has anyone ridden both bikes and can tell me about some of the other differences?

Which would be better for someone with my experience?

I travel on the highway alot and I would like to take it on 150 mile trips after I get more experience. Would the Yam be better for that?

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited by sjn2560; 05-02-2002 at 09:34 AM.
sjn2560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2002, 10:55 AM   #2
basicblur

Quote:
Originally posted by Ducati748Girl
Why not consider the 600 Ninja?
Ditto that! The 6R has a bigger fairing than other 600's: some knock it for that, but I think it's a benefit. I think those 'small' fairings were probably designed for a typical, smaller-framed Japanese rider. Fer us'em American-sized folks, the bigger fairing is a plus.

I'd definitely pick the 6R over the older YZF. Don't be fooled by the 6R's appearance: Kawasaki actually put some real-world ergonomics on the sucker.

I travel on the highway alot and I would like to take it on 150 mile trips after I get more experience.
A 150 mile trip; wassup with that? Heck, I ride my 6R up to the Blue Ridge Parkway to get lunch or dinner, which is a 90 mile trip 1-way! The last 30 miles or so are nuttin' but curves (along and up the mountain), so a normal day ride for a bit of mountain food is usually 300 miles.
Most I've done in one day is 468 miles, which just happens to be how far Deals Gap is from my house, taking the long/crooked route.
AMA Life Member
basicblur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 02:21 PM   #3
KEVIN CHALUPA

Default F4i OR YZF600R

I'M NEW TO THIS SITE ,BUT HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT IT FOR QUITE SOME TIME.I'M WAS IN THE SAME BOAT AS THIS GENTLEMAN AND ENDED UP GETTING THE YZF 600R I DON'T REGRET IT ONE BIT,I KNOW ALL THE BIKES HAVE THERE GOOD AND BAD POINTS,THE YAMAHA IS AN OLDER DESIGN BUT I THINK IT STILL LOOKS GOOD,AND THE ERGONOMICS ARE COMFORTABLE,I'M 5'11" AND WEIGH 245LBS. AND I'VE HAD A FEW GOOD RIDES AND HAVEN'T HAD ANY COMPLAINTS FROM ME OR THE BIKE, AND IT IS PLENTY FAST FOR A BEGINNER IN MY OPINION. I'VE SAT ON THE F4i BEFORE I PURCHASED MY BIKE AND THE SEAT WAS REAL UNCOMFORTABLE TO ME ,BUT THAT MAY JUST BE ME,SO THERES MY TWO CENTS WORTH , THANKS FOR LISTENING.
KEVIN CHALUPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 06:16 AM   #4
f4rhino

Bought a 2002 YZF600R a month ago -- great bike, no regrets. Well-built, great fairing, comfy ride position, plenty fast. Ultimately, it still comes down to what you feel comfy on -- I liked the CBR, but felt more comfy on the YZF. Was very uncomfortable on the ZX-6R, although I know a lot of people love it.
They're all great bikes, pick the one that fits you best. No matter how great the bike is, if you but and hands go numb after 100 miles, you'll hate the ride.
I think Hondas and Yamahas are better made than Suzukis or Kawis -- just me impression from the build, finish, opinions of other riders. That may matter if you plan on keeping the bike for a long time.
Plus, the YZF upgrades well.
My two cents -- I love the YZF.
f4rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 07:26 PM   #5
Yzflightning

the YZF 600R has been quoted as the most comfortable mid sized bike ever made. I mean the dang thing is comfy!

whoever said that kawi actually made their bike a "real world" bike has NEVER riden a 600R, its the MOST real world bike i have EVER ridden... it is a HEAVY bike, i've heard aound 480 pounds with a full tank, but its made for the street. The kawa 600 for the same year would smoke it in the quarter, but the 600R has awesome breaks, ride position, and just plain perfect for the street.
Yzflightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 07:31 PM   #6
Yzflightning

Quote:
Originally posted by basicblur

I'd definitely pick the 6R over the older YZF. Don't be fooled by the 6R's appearance: Kawasaki actually put some real-world ergonomics on the sucker.

I like the kawa 600, but every article i've read, they talk about how the 600R has the other models of that year whooped in real-world ergonomics
Old 10-01-2002, 10:37 AM   #7
RUFF_RYDA307

Talking 600f4i vs R6

ok guys comfort and safety wise what do you think is more forgiving for a new rider, rite now i have a 98 ninja 500r and by next year i want to move up.... but i dont' wanna get too crazy i've even condidered the yzf 600r but i dno't wanna upgrade a year or two after that
Old 10-01-2002, 01:13 PM   #8
sjn2560

RUFF_RYDA307,

I was in the same situation as you. You have to ask youself, what do you want to do with your bike. Long rides, commuting, weekend warrior, stunts, etc.

I considered a bunch of different bikes for my second bike. As you can tell from above, I had it narrowed down to 2. But I ending up with something else. I am sure people here will disagree with me on some of this but this is how I decided:

Suzuki GSX-R: Light, good looks, but too uncomfortable.

Ninja 600R: Comfortable, did not really like the looks.

Yam R6: I have never ridden one but I hear they are not very forgiving to mistakes. IMO Good looks, except for the front. I just can't get used to those head lights.

Yam 600R: Heavier, very comfortable, bad resale value (don't buy a new one unless you want to keep it for a long time.) Not as modern as the others, and not quite as quick.

Honda CBR F4i: Liked it alot. Good looks, comfortable, except for the rock hard seat.

So I had it narrowed down to a F4i and a Yam 600R. But because of what I mentioned above, I decided against the Yam. The reason I did not get a F4i is because of the seat (passenger seat too because my girlfriend rides with me alot). The 99-00 CBR's were more comfortable for me and my girl, less expensive, and faster then the Yam. But not as fast as the F4i.

The short of it is, get a bike that fits your needs. Sit on all of them to see what is comfortable to you and think about what kind of riding you plan on doing.

Good luck.
sjn2560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 09:28 PM   #9
Glenn9171

F4i = 370 lbs.
600R = 416 lbs.

Not a lot of difference unless you plan on carrying it on your back.
Glenn9171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 05:55 AM   #10
Yzflightning

46 pounds on a bike feels like a nice difference to me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement