Wide rear tire for R6 [Archive] - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

: Wide rear tire for R6

coldforty
05-08-2001, 12:00 PM
All:

I noticed a moderately modified ZX-7R the other day that had a rear tire that was definitely wider than stock. Not only did this look slick but also seems like it would provide better handling and traction. Is this the case and, if so, is it recommended that I install one on my 2001 R6?

Thanks

Rob Nance
05-08-2001, 12:09 PM
Your bike (as are all new bikes) is designed around the stock size front and rear tires. The larger contact patch is only done on larger displacement bikes due to the increase in output power. Smaller tires are better, in general, you will be able to maneuver faster, and easier. Changing the tires can adversly effect the handling characteristics of your bike.

Basically, don't mess with a good thing :)

VYPIR
05-08-2001, 02:16 PM
I agree don't touch it. Leave the 180 on there. That tire is perfect for the R6.
I can barley touch the edge on my R6 rear tire. I tire that is wider would be a waist. :D

drifter_r6
05-08-2001, 03:54 PM
I would have to agree with everyone else about not changing the size/width of the rear tire. The only benefit I see, would be in a drag race situation where maximum traction off the line is a must but you run into the problem that you might have too much stick (with the larger contact patch) and throw yourself into a wheelie all the time.... Then again if you need ultimate traction run some road race tires on the street.

If you want to do it just for looks then by all means do it. I think it looks pretty trick! :) Other than that I would only change the front tire to a higher profile 120-70-17 size for race purposes.

Be Safe!
-R

wmac75
05-08-2001, 07:38 PM
By putting a wider rear tire on your bike you can actually decrease the contact patch area. When you put a wider tire on a rim that is designed for a smaller one you have to pinch the sidewalls together to get it on the rim. When you do that it pushes the middle of the tires tread outward which gives the tire a bit of a V shape so that only the middle of the V touches the ground. If your rim was designed to fit a wider tire you would be alright. I would suggest calling the tire manufacturer and asking what size rim a 190/50 tire would fit on I believe that it is a 6 to 6.5 inch rim. If your bike has the size rim that they recommend then you should be fine. Hope that helps.

VYPIR
05-08-2001, 07:42 PM
Oh so that is how Michelin made the Pilots. I always wondered about that V-shape :D :rolleyes:

raveosaurus
05-09-2001, 08:27 PM
speaking of pilots, are they worth the extra change that you have to shell out for them? I have heard some good reviews, but everyone I know swears by Dunlop. It just so happens that that is all that they have ever owned. :rolleyes:

fixed your smilie

drifter_r6
05-09-2001, 09:47 PM
Doh!!! I forgot to add something. The extra width of a tire would also be bad for traction. The weight of the bike is spread out over a larger surface thereby having less weight on each square inch over the contact patch... possibly making it easier to spin the tire.

Be Safe!
-R

VYPIR
05-10-2001, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by raveosaurus
speaking of pilots, are they worth the extra change that you have to shell out for them? I have heard some good reviews, but everyone I know swears by Dunlop. It just so happens that that is all that they have ever owned. :rolleyes:

From what I understand the R6 handles very well with the U-shaped Dunlops. It is the bigger bike such as the TL-R that will need a V-shape to corner sharper.
I am not experienced with the Pilots because all I have ever had were Dunlops. Well I had Bridgestones on my 500 until I melted the tread (all of the rain grooves were filled in by the tread blocks moving together). After that I went and bought Dunlops and I have been very happy with them (no melting).

coldforty
05-10-2001, 05:25 AM
Thanks for the info everyone. I guess I'll stick with the stock tire for now even though I still think the wider tire wins in appearance...

sbcR1
05-11-2001, 07:30 AM
I am actually thinking about going with a smaller tire on the R1. I thought that it might make it feel a little more like my old 600 in the twisties. What do you think?