Yamaha R6 Starting problems. [Archive] - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

: Yamaha R6 Starting problems.

TheToy
08-14-2000, 02:31 PM
I got a 2000 model Yamaha R6 and it has trouble starting whith the choke/engine cold. With the engine warm she starts with a little bit of throttle(normal). But when i start her for first time in morning or night with choke (cold engine) it just cranks. I got to crank it for like 6 secondes 3-4 times for it to start. However if I use a little bit of throttle (with or without choke) she starts right up? When you wake a bike up from hibernation its normal for it to need a couple 6-7 second cranks to get going. maybe even choke +throttle. But every time! Im taking her in for first maintenance and will ask whats up but maybe somebody out there can tip me on whats up here.

------------------
Keep Your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked!

swedishviking
08-14-2000, 03:27 PM
What is your idle set at? It could be set too low, i think that it should be around 1300-1500 rpms but check your owners manual.

------------------

Pete
08-15-2000, 02:19 AM
Toy, I am going to move this thread into the "How do I" forum. You're likely to get more responses there. Thanks!

------------------
Pete
"The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of
age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers."

TheToy
08-15-2000, 06:29 AM
Idle being low was a possibility from when she was new. It was down around 1000rpm. But i got over 1000km's(600+ miles)now. Idle has now set itslef at 1300rpm wich manual says is right. :confused:

------------------

TheToy
08-15-2000, 08:07 PM
I can let her sit over night and she doesn't like choke (unless i do it like you with bit of throttle). Or i can let her sit a week and same thing. Well i guess this is a yamaha thing. If the shop tells me its normal to, like everyone else is. Then i'll let it be.

------------------

chris_y2k_r1
08-16-2000, 02:44 AM
How many days do you let the bike sit
betweem starts? Usually when my R1 is cold
I have to use choke and a little throttle
to get it started. What you are saying sounds
normal to me.

Let us know.
Chris

------------------
I've got what it takes to take what you've got.

Irishbiker_R1
08-17-2000, 10:37 PM
Toy
I have the same experience as Chris has with my R1. Staring from cold, I give it full choke and about one quarter throttle and she fires up first time. I had a 1998 Honda Fireblade before the R1 and it just needed choke only. Dunno why the yamahas are different that way but it seems its just the way they are. I can actually start mine from cold using no choke and a good dose of throttle if I want (but my bike has been dyno jetted so shes probably running a little richer than stock anyway). Don't worry about it.

Ferg

------------------

chris_y2k_r1
08-18-2000, 02:20 AM
Hey Ferg,

I hate to get off topic in my own damn
forum but what the hell... What's your riding
style? Myself, I'm a squid but the difference
is I can take the corners too. :D

At my old job we had many interns from
Ireland. They had me convinced for the longest
time that Ireland is all dirt roads. We
USA'rs have a funny concept of Ireland having
never been there.

R1s absolutley rock!

Take it easy,
Chris

------------------
I've got what it takes to take what you've got.

DoubleAught
08-18-2000, 10:42 AM
One other thing to consider - your idle mixture. It is set by airscrews that are capped at the factory. Problem is, that in the three sets of carbs that I have "unplugged", I have yet to find any 2 set the same. Some were closed completely, and some were 4 turns open. Equalizing these screw settings always improves idle, starting, and off-idle acceleration.

------------------

TheToy
08-20-2000, 04:27 PM
Ok everybody thanks for the input. The dealer says bike is set right and everybody i know says they got the same thing with there Yamahas. So I'm satisfied/suprised with this and will let it be. Yeah irishbiker_r1 mine starts from cold with just throtle to. What i do now is start with throtle, then put on the choke for few secs. Im not a big choke fan anyway so even though bike is cold i just blip the throtle every now and again while im putting on my gear. If need be i'll hold the revs at 3000 manualy till shes ready.

------------------

gofastgohard
08-21-2000, 06:43 PM
One quick thing. You guys are talking about caps on the carbs, I have a 98 F3, and have not touched these, I don't even see anything in the manual about this. ??? Anybody?

------------------

Sixxer
08-21-2000, 08:15 PM
I usually have to give it throttle to start my bike up and from hearing everyone here, I'm glad it's normal. ALthough mine is a Kawasaki, i guess all the performance sport bikes are just similar in that way.

Toy:
You said that you start your bike up with just throttle and then AFTER it's started you give it some choke? I'm confused...can you go into that in a bit more detail.

------------------

TheToy
08-21-2000, 11:40 PM
ok sixxer here i go with detail. I only use choke on cold engine. Bike won't start with the choke,so I use the throttle like on warm engine. I hold the throttle(3000rpm) for few secs otherwise bike shuts off. Then i leave the throttle alone and switch on the choke as needed. Im not a huge choke fan so i usually dont go more than about 7secs with it anyway. i prefer the random blip on the throttle while putting on my gear.

------------------

DoubleAught
08-22-2000, 03:20 AM
Gofast, the caps I was referring to are plugs that cover the idle air mixture screws on virtually all carbureted bikes sold in the US. Because of EPA emissions requirements, all bikes sold here run rather lean right off idle. This causes hard starting and poor off-idle acceleration. Removing the caps, and setting the screws in the 2 - 3 turn range usually offers a great deal of improvement in starting and driveability. Ensuring that the screws are all set the same generally decreases vibration.

------------------

Rug Burn
08-22-2000, 04:10 AM
This is exactly why I love my fuel injected bike so much-that and it's fast as hell :) . I remember trying to start my old bike on a cold day and having to constantly screw with the choke and throttle until it warmed up. What a pain in the ass. Someday they'll all be F.I. until then you have my sympathy.

------------------
"If everything's coming your way-
you're in the wrong lane"

Clark

Kahuna
08-22-2000, 07:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheToy:
ok sixxer here i go with detail. I only use choke on cold engine. Bike won't start with the choke,so I use the throttle like on warm engine. I hold the throttle(3000rpm) for few secs otherwise bike shuts off. Then i leave the throttle alone and switch on the choke as needed. Im not a huge choke fan so i usually dont go more than about 7secs with it anyway. i prefer the random blip on the throttle while putting on my gear.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My bike wont start with the choke on 100%. I put all the way on, then back it off a little, about one quarter of an inch. I then push the start button while giving it a tiny bit of gas. As soon as it starts I let off the gas and it idles about 1400 RPM's.

- Jeff -

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/kahuna_z/rpsm.gif
Kahuna's Home Page (http://www.geocities.com/kahuna_z/kahuna/index.html)
ICQ # - 14578052

TheToy
08-23-2000, 04:26 PM
I actually did try starting the bike with choke at different degrees. No go at 100%, 75%, 50% or..... As for little bit of throttle with choke, this does work with choke off or on at whatever degree. But that is my concern. I was allways told dont start engine with choke and throttle at same time. Unless its last resort, like wake up from hibernation. I am satisfied with my new start procedure with this R6. As long as it hold true in warm and cold months its fine with me.

------------------