How are the Zx7R's?? [Archive] - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

: How are the Zx7R's??

Peg-grinder
01-08-2002, 06:32 AM
I'm planning on buying a new (probably used) bike this summer, because my F3 is just too small for me (6'1") and I'm ready for a little more power since I got 15K miles experience on a 600. Anyway, I had my heart set on a 02 R1 or 954, but I highly doubt that I can afford either, so I thought of one of my favorites, the zx7R. I always loved the large style body and especially the wide front end, but I don't know anyone that owns one, so I'm just curious about how owners like 'em (comfort, reliability, enough power?). The most important thing is the WEIGHT issue! Does it really seem that heavy? My F3 is about 420-430 lbs. wet, so I'm not riding the lightest bike right now, but I've seen stats on the net that listed numbers as high as 540 lbs. for the zx7R's.

I appreciate any comments, thanks!

Cam McFarland
01-08-2002, 06:43 AM
Kawasaki lists the dry weight as 448# for the
2001 ZX-7R..... that puts it into the 500+# range
wet (I suppose).
The 2001 ZX-9R is listed at 404# dry....Cant beat
the 9R for comfort....

shannon
01-08-2002, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Cam McFarland
Kawasaki lists the dry weight as 448# for the
2001 ZX-7R..... that puts it into the 500+# range
wet (I suppose).
The 2001 ZX-9R is listed at 404# dry....Cant beat
the 9R for comfort....

Fuel is about 7 pounds per gallon. The 7 is slooooooooow. No hope of a pwr wheelie what so ever. get a 9

Cam McFarland
01-08-2002, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by shannon

Fuel is about 7 pounds per gallon. The 7 is slooooooooow. No hope of a pwr wheelie what so ever. get a 9

Thats makes about 35# for gas, how much for
oil & battery....gas alone gets us to 485#

Kevlar7R
01-08-2002, 07:43 AM
Shannon, the 7 is Not slow. Perhaps you were slow when you rode one. My 7 Does power wheelie now that I've dropped to a 520 chain and a 46 tooth rear sprocket.

The 7R is probably the most stable sport bike on the market. You don't need a steering damper on these things. If your into rolling tricks such as Crossover, Switchback, Christ, etc... The 7R is the perfect choice. More then any of the other sportbikes, the 7R just wants to go in a nice straight line. I've ridden Christs down to nearly stopped. The 7R is very forgiving, because it is so stable. That stability also helps in corners because it turns in, rather then falling in.

Anyone that tells you the 7R is a "bad" bike doesn't know what they are talking about. Sure, it looses in straight line top speed battles, but whats the fun in going straight anyway? My bike tops out around 150 MPH since the gear change. I can't see any reason for me to be going faster then that. I keep up with all but the top racers in our riding group. How fast you are in the curves has very little to do with which bike your on. (Unless your riding at racing levels)

Something else I have noticed after watching myself on video, for the same speed, same radius corner (i.e. following someone closely) my bike is leaned far less then an R1, 9R, etc.. I think it might just be the geometry of the bike, but you have more useable lean angle on a 7R then on other bikes. Not to mention that the 7R has very comfortable ergonomics. There is not too much pressure on your wrists, so you can ride all day on the 7R. The 7R is a great bike. My bike turns more heads then a lot of the other bikes in our group. People love Kawasaki Green. Nothing says "FAST" quite like green.

The 7 Is heavier then other bikes. The only time you'll notice is if you have to pick it up off its side. And if your dropping it that often, you have other problems. It is Strong. My 7R slid headlong into a berm at 70 Mph. Bent the inner fork tubes, and the front rim. Everything else was cosmetic damage. Plus you get Kawasaki reliability. Enough said on that.

Don't get a 9R. They don't feel like a sport bike. It feels like a standard to sit on it. If you want a standard, there are better ones then that. The 9R can be a good sportbike, but you need rearsets, and clipons right off the bat. Might as well get a bike you can enjoy the day you bring it home.

Finally, the 7R is cheaper on insurance then a 9R or R1. Most insurance companies base your rate on displacement.

Hope this helps. Good luck on your new bike.

Cam McFarland
01-08-2002, 07:50 AM
I cant think of anything nice or constructive to
say so I wont.....:D

shannon
01-08-2002, 08:38 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kevlar7R
[B]Shannon, the 7 is Not slow. Perhaps you were slow when you rode one. My 7 Does power wheelie now that I've dropped to a 520 chain and a 46 tooth rear sprocket.

My 7 isn't slow now that Im running 12000 rpm going 100mph because of a sprocket change:D :D

Look Im not ragging on you, but the bike is slow. It's a lead sled.
It won't come close to keeping up with a 6r let alone a 9r.

Hey Cam, I think oil and battery are in the dry weight. I always assumed "dry" jusy meant no gas.

Joel2084
01-08-2002, 08:38 AM
I went from a Gixxer 750 to a 7R and never looked back. The 7R is a riding experience second to none. If you can get a good price for a used 7R go for it, you'll never regret it. All other bikes come and go, but the green monster is here to stay.:cool:

Cam McFarland
01-08-2002, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by shannon

Look Im not ragging on you, but the bike is slow. It's a lead sled.

Hey Cam, I think oil and battery are in the dry weight. I always assumed "dry" jusy meant no gas. [/B]

Shannon,
I am not positive, but I thought they took those
items out for the dry weight....anybody know???

I also left out the coolant as well..

Dont forget all the neigh sayers that call the
9R a lead sled also, Shannon...haha LMAO

kawi jm
01-08-2002, 10:27 AM
As I understand it dry weight does not include oil, but does include the battery. Who cares the 7R is beautiful in my opinion classic styling and a great chassis. My best friend has one and I have tooled around on it a little around town, and I love it. I'm 6'4" 210 lbs and it was plenty comfy for me. Lets not even mention the engine is bullet proof.:drool: :drool:

Paul 750
01-08-2002, 11:36 AM
I really have no opinion in this conversation, but I'll jump in anyway!!

Instead of saying that the gixxer 7 is a better bike, i'll ask a bunch of questions:

How many miles do you need before you're "ready" for more power?

How do you determine what feels heavy?
Doesn't a bike that just wants to go straight feel heavy?
Doesn't a bike that needs to be "turned in" as opposed to "fall in" feel heavy?
Have you ridden a ZX-7 yet?
Have your ridden an F4i yet?
Gixxer 6 or 7 yet?

As I said, I'm not trying to sell you on the gixxer, cuz I'm only 5'8" so the gixxer is probably going to feel cramped. but sit on all of them, ride as many as you can. I believe that the bikes that are out right now all weigh less than your F3 and have better ergos.

Good Luck (Go Green?):rolleyes:

P

Moto24
01-08-2002, 12:38 PM
I used to race 7's and I will say it was the most stable bike I ever raced. Sure they don't have the power of the newer generation bikes but for street I don't think that makes as much diffrence and in race trim it's just as good as any. It's ergo's aren't as nice as my 9's, too much pressure on my wrists for long hauls, but that's me go try one out to see how you like it, it's heavier than my 9 but you don't notice it as much as you'd think plus there are ways to cut some of that weight, the exhaust has to weight atleast 30#. I won't say anything bad about the 7, it really is an excellent machine, but I like too ride long distances at times and it doesn't work that well for me, oh and I'm also 6' 1".

RuffStuff
01-08-2002, 01:31 PM
Hmmmmmm.........I think the ZX-9R definitely feels like a sportbike. Unless of course "feeling like a sportbike" means it hurts to ride. It's really kind of funny listening to people bash the Kawi's, but lets be real. It's heavier than the 929(954), R1 and GSXR 1K. It has the smallest engine of all of them. But with the exception of the GSXR, look at any of the published numbers for performance. Most sportbikes never see the light of day on a racetrack, so being track-ready shouldn't figure much into the equation for real-world performance.
I could be wrong, but doesn't J.T. Holt of ChainDrive and Team Extreme ride a ZX-7R? From the way I've seen him ride, I'm not seeing any lack of performance. Check Judgement Day, Urban Assault, Full Leather Jacket, etc. for details.
I'm also gonna take the chance on Bendoe of Las Vegas riding a 9R. Unless of course he stole some Ninja stickers and stuck them on his tailsection to fool the less knowledgeable. 300ft+ rolling stoppies, wheelies, etc. on a bike that's not a sportbike?:confused:
Sure, bub.

My $0.02 (all the above was free), says that people should spend more time riding and being happy with what you have, than thinking your bike or someone else's bike sucks because it got left out of some bike magazine comparison/shootout. Or it didn't finish as Bike of the Year. Don't believe the hype.

bionic man
01-08-2002, 03:55 PM
Personally, i ride a 9, and you just can't beat the big bore power. I have however riden the 7 and find it quite uncomfortable and i'm only 5'11". However, thats just a matter of my opinion. My advice to you is to go to a dealer and sit on the bike,see how comfortable it is. If you like it, buy it. It will be far better than your CBR for power anyways and a more gradual rise to big bore performance.

mad kaw
01-08-2002, 04:51 PM
Of course I am biased, but I don't think you can go wrong if you purchase a 7r. They may not be cutting edge, but it's still a damn good bike. It handles unlike anything I've ever ridden, it rails, dude!! The things are freaking bullit proof. I have put 30k very hard miles on mine and have only had to perform routine maintenance.

Hammer 4
01-08-2002, 05:33 PM
I'd just like to add a short note, in regard to Moto24's post..

I'm bout 6'2", and use to ride a 97 Gix 600 till 2 weeks ago(totalled it) and have done over 400 miles in a day w/o any aches or pains. The pressure on the wristes, and shoulders, will go away with time..so if ya like the Gixxer...? Oh, and at 54 yrs. young, and with a bad back to boot...:D

Moto24
01-09-2002, 06:21 AM
Oh Hammer 400 miles in a day is just a ride around the block for me :D , I was just comparing the diffrence between my 7R and 9R and prefer the 9R for really long hauls in a day doing 800 mi. I too have a bad back, 2 bad shoulders and neck but it wouldn't stop me either :)

Peg-grinder
01-09-2002, 09:55 AM
Wow, I didn't think there'd be so many opinions, thanks. At least everyone seems to agree that the bike's reliable, cuz that's probably most important. Kevlar, does your 7R pull up in 2nd with the mods, cuz I REALLY want a bike that can pull in 2nd so I can do smoother wheelies. BTW, does anyone know when the 7R 1st came with the black frame (00 or 01 maybe)?

zx7biker
01-13-2002, 04:43 AM
BTW, does anyone know when the 7R 1st came with the black frame (00 or 01 maybe)? I belive that the Black frame started in 00. looks "OK". But again I'm Biased. I however do recommend the Candywine Red Color for the ZX7:cool:. Looks freakin tooo cool. The Green i good also, but I saw alot of them, nad not too many reds. Oh she's such a pretty Bitch!!!!!!!>> I do belive that Kevlar7 did summ alot about the bike. "OK" heres my 2 cents. I'm 6'3 and It' fits great. I've tried a CBR600 and 900 but feel too upright for me a not as agressive as the ZX7. With Just a Full Exhaust and jet kit my bike is great in the PWR curve except in the low 3's it takes a dip. My next step is to drop a size in chain link and sproket. That should help the Low band. Then It's ASS KICKIN time!! :D :p :drool:

Moto24
01-13-2002, 06:35 AM
'99 got the first of the black frames.

vizsladog44
01-13-2002, 10:14 AM
Actually 93 was the first year the zx-7 had a black frame.Did not return until later.The bike was candy wine red with a black frame
get the bike YOU like.almost any sportbike from the last ten years is a great bike.I worked in the motorcycle buis for over 10 years until just a few months ago and have ridden or owned every thing.Prices on 7r's are really good right now and they may be outdated but they still look better than any new gixxer.Sure the gsxr or whatever your comparing it to may be lighter or faster but it all comes down to the rider.I get reminded of this every time a guy on a sv650 passes me at the track

vizsladog44
01-13-2002, 10:32 AM
Foud a pic of a black framed 93.It's not a good pic but you get the idea

Kevlar7R
01-13-2002, 01:59 PM
My 7 will power up in second if I stand up and bounce it up. Same in first. Its right on the verge of powering up in first with me sitting down, it definately does it when I have a passenger. Most of the time, the tire just comes an inch or so off the ground and floats there all the way through first, and part of second (when I'm accelerating hard). I haven't done ANY engine work to it except replaced the plugs a while back. A full pipe and a jet kit might be the ticket to powering it up sitting down. There is plenty more you can do to the 7 to get more power out of it. All I've done is gone up to a 46 tooth in the back, afam sprockets, 520 chain. I think I'll be adding a 10mm spacer to my rear shock soon, so I'll let you know how much better it handles once I do that.

vizsladog44
01-14-2002, 12:52 AM
Kevlar,
no need to add a spacer to your shock you have a ride hieght adjuster already back there.

zx7biker
01-14-2002, 02:38 AM
I think I'll be adding a 10mm spacer to my rear shock soon, so I'll let you know how much better it handles once I do that.

What would be the need to add a spacer anyways(serous question)?? What whould it do different to the bike? Ride height adj. is for adj the height of what?? :confused: Gusee I should know this, but sorry not yet. Any help ??

vizsladog44
01-14-2002, 05:09 AM
Take a close look at your shock up top were it mounts.see those threads?Loosen the top nut and adjust the bottom nut up does the same thing as adding a spacer.

Kevlar7R
01-14-2002, 05:24 AM
<sigh> Newbies.......

The stock rear shock on the 7R is ride height adjustable, yes.... but not enough. I already have my rear as high as it will go. A spacer will put the ass end even higher. Raising the rear of the bike reduces your rake angle. A steeper rake angle means sharper handling, and improved flickability. The 7R has more rake then other superbikes, such as the gixxers, the R1, R6, 929, etc.. In order to achieve the same kind of flickability as these bike, the rake angle on the 7R needs to be reduced. The ZX 7RR that they race in AMA, WSB, etc.. has adjustable rake right there at the steering head. On our street bikes, the only way to adjust your rake is by changing your suspension geometry.

Oh, and the black frames on the new 7R's looks awful. It appears to be painted, not anodized. I like black frames, but whatever process they used to turn it black does not look good. Go to the dealership and compare it to an F4i. Honda black frames look MUCH better.

Scrapy918
01-14-2002, 10:57 AM
I have a 89 ZX-7 and it has a Vance&hines SS2R pipe and header, and I was told it has a jet kit when I bought the bike a year ago, I had to replace the clutch ( plates, master cyclender) I would like to know if the vance&hines power pack from a 91-92 zx7 will work.

vizsladog44
01-14-2002, 11:23 AM
(sigh)
smartass
I have been riding bikes since i was 5(30 now) sportbikes for the last 12 and was a store manager,service manager at a dealers ship and was in the motorcycle buis for 10 years until 2 months ago.But i forgot i was a newbie.I don't have a zx-7 but have (929 right now)owned a few and have rode or owned more sport bikes than i can count.I thought these boards were to share info.

Kevlar7R
01-14-2002, 11:32 AM
well, being so "knowledgeable" about motorcycles, I shouldn't have to explain this to you. If you know so much about bikes, why don't you share some useful information?

Like I said.... this is 2 threads.................

Zx12RNinja
01-14-2002, 12:11 PM
vizsladog44 Your a good sportbiker, I juess kevlar don't need your help.

I'll take any help i can get. myself. I can alway's learn something,

As far as the ZX7 goes i would get the bike i wanted. If the ZX7 is the bike that appeal's to ya, then go for it. Your the one riding it.

That's why there are so many different bike's model's.

I like the ZX7 but i could be bais, Since it's a Ninja.

Peg-grinder
01-15-2002, 12:56 AM
Not sure if the ss2r is similar to the supersports, but I met a girl that rode a 90-93 zx7R (the one with the intake tubes going into the tank) and she had a full V&H supersport system...........................IT WAS THE LOUDEST DAMN EXHAUST I'VE HEARD YET! I have a full 2 bros. and I couldn't hear my bike running next to her's.

zx7biker
01-15-2002, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by Kevlar7R
<sigh> Newbies.......

If you were refering to me about asking A so called "stupid" question like the spacer. Then remember, you always have options. Either dont answer and SHUT the ---- UP, or try and help someone else W/O attitude. There are always people who know more and less than you do. Keep that in mind.

Thanks to "B]vizsladog44[/B]" for the help and respect !!
zx7biker <OUT>

DoubleAught
01-15-2002, 02:43 AM
The beauty of these boards is that everyone is free to ignore anything or anyone they judge to be incorrect. Regarding the ride height question, yes, raising the rear will quicken the steering, but it will also take away from straight line stability. The ZX7 has loads of straight line stability as delivered, so you can feel free to experiment.

RCjohn
01-15-2002, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by DoubleAught
The beauty of these boards is that everyone is free to ignore anything or anyone they judge to be incorrect. Regarding the ride height question, yes, raising the rear will quicken the steering, but it will also take away from straight line stability. The ZX7 has loads of straight line stability as delivered, so you can feel free to experiment.

Agreed. :)

10mm above the max OEM height seems to be an awfully big jump that could make a huge impact on the straight line stability. The 7R is a pretty damn stable bike to start with though so there is alot of room for experimenting. Raising the rear does help with ground clearance too which can be a problem, on the bikes set up for the track. :)

Kevlar7R
01-15-2002, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by zx7biker

If you were refering to me about asking A so called "stupid" question like the spacer. Then remember, you always have options. Either dont answer and SHUT the ---- UP, or try and help someone else W/O attitude. There are always people who know more and less than you do. Keep that in mind.

Thanks to "B]vizsladog44" for the help and respect !!
zx7biker <OUT> [/B]

Actually, I wasn't referring to you. You asked a legitimate question. I was referring to vizladog, but he and I have subsequently resolved our differences.

Kevlar7R
01-15-2002, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by RCjohn

10mm above the max OEM height seems to be an awfully big jump that could make a huge impact on the straight line stability.

I hadn't planned on leaving the preload adjuster at its max when I add a spacer. It gives me UP TO 10mm above the factory max. Even with a 10mm spacer, I could go back to my current ride height easily.

Now for the other problem, I thought I had seen those spacers on Lockhart Phillips, but now all I can find there are the spacers for gsxr's. Any ideas anyone?

RCjohn
01-15-2002, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by Kevlar7R

I hadn't planned on leaving the preload adjuster at its max when I add a spacer. It gives me UP TO 10mm above the factory max. Even with a 10mm spacer, I could go back to my current ride height easily.

Sounds like a pretty good addition then. :cool:

I have no idea where to find spacer for the Kawi.

XXer
01-19-2002, 04:22 PM
Back to answer the original question: ZX7R style...yea..like it lots. Comfort....who you kiddin...sucks...but I'm pretty big (6'4", 220-230) and getting pretty old. But even younger and lighter it wasn't good. Gixxer 750 only thing I can think of as worse. Reliabilty.....very good. Enough power....no not for me. In the curves mine was awesome. In fact, made me think I was better than I was. High sided mine through a barb wire fence doing 80mph. Weight....pretty dang heavy for a small bike. My 12 feels lighter, but taller. I myself wouldn't take one over a R1, RC51 or CBR900/929. But if I could get one worth the money(cheap)...sure I'd get another one.

robbie69
01-27-2002, 11:42 AM
try & play with this with your r1s top speed 198mph
keep the faith stick with you mind go for the

robbie69
01-27-2002, 11:46 AM
try & play with this:.... with your R1s.... top speed 198mph
keep the faith stick with you mind go for the kawasaki zx7r
by the way the zx9 engine gose strate in the block
all the best
robbie69 from the isle of man :finger: :twofinger :D

CanuckZX9R
02-26-2002, 05:10 AM
I already have a 9R but my 7R is sooo sweet. I bought it this winter and can't wait to get out on it.
Yes the 7R is a classic and it all depends on what you want.
Sprocket changes, pipe, jet kit, shave the heads.
You would be impressed. And it will still cost less than a new 600.
Go boy!

Peg-grinder
02-26-2002, 05:30 AM
I'm still worried about the weight. I never rode one so I'm not sure how I'll like it. I LOVE the fact that it's bigger and wider than my F3, cuz I feel huge on it, but will I be dissappointed in moving to a heavier bike than I own now?

Csilva
03-08-2002, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Peg-grinder
I'm still worried about the weight. I never rode one so I'm not sure how I'll like it. I LOVE the fact that it's bigger and wider than my F3, cuz I feel huge on it, but will I be dissappointed in moving to a heavier bike than I own now?

Don't worry about the weight, It makes the bike more stable, I just bought a 2K zx7r and love it, My old 2K r6 was light but not as stable as this thing...If you like going fast into turns and not have to worry about it this is the bike for you...

I Can't get the heavy thing to do a wheelie though :(

Thanks god I still have my 2k1 996 Duc for that :)

robbie69
04-25-2002, 04:33 AM
NICE PIC...:barf:

RuffStuff
04-25-2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Csilva

Don't worry about the weight, It makes the bike more stable, I just bought a 2K zx7r and love it, My old 2K r6 was light but not as stable as this thing...If you like going fast into turns and not have to worry about it this is the bike for you...

I Can't get the heavy thing to do a wheelie though :(

Thanks god I still have my 2k1 996 Duc for that :)

Well you could alwayz e-mail JT Holt for tips on how to get a 7R up..........he doesn't seem to have any problem :twofinger
i.e. Full Leather Jacket, Judgement Day......

DuckRyder
04-25-2002, 06:14 PM
I had a 96 ZX-7R I bought new, it was my second bike.

They are nice bikes, in fact I might have bought another if the RC51 wasn't built.

The weight isn't noticeable and just changing the exhaust sheds a massive amount. (its been a long time but I'd guess 25-30 lbs)

Mine got a Full Indigo Sports Pipe (now Leovinci)
Factory Pro Pro ti jet kit
and a Factory Pro advancer.

It was plenty fast.

Csilva
04-26-2002, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by ZX-9 FOREVER R

Well you could alwayz e-mail JT Holt for tips on how to get a 7R up..........he doesn't seem to have any problem :twofinger
i.e. Full Leather Jacket, Judgement Day......

Why don't I just ask him??? I'm in forida and run into him all the time :)

But his 7 has sharkskins which makes the bike alot lighter....
Who knows what else he has :)

robbie69
04-26-2002, 01:38 PM
lol lo r.a.l.m.ass off...

Cam McFarland
04-27-2002, 04:23 AM
Hey R69,

Is a "Mussy" race bike a dirty one..???;) :D

kawboyzx7rr
04-27-2002, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Csilva

But his 7 has sharkskins which makes the bike alot lighter....
Who knows what else he has :)

the 96-02 zx7r's body work is not as heavy as the previous... when i had my bike apart i compared it to stock and to sharkskinz aftermarket bodywork... there is a little difference between s/skinz and 96+ stock bodywork... but a lot of difference between 96+ stock and 95/92 stock bodywork..

Wolfman
05-08-2002, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by vizsladog44
Actually 93 was the first year the zx-7 had a black frame.Did not return until later.The bike was candy wine red with a black frame
get the bike YOU like.almost any sportbike from the last ten years is a great bike.I worked in the motorcycle buis for over 10 years until just a few months ago and have ridden or owned every thing.Prices on 7r's are really good right now and they may be outdated but they still look better than any new gixxer.Sure the gsxr or whatever your comparing it to may be lighter or faster but it all comes down to the rider.I get reminded of this every time a guy on a sv650 passes me at the track

Dang Tommy, I am very impressed!!! I dont know too many people who know about the 93 with the black frame! :eek:

Knight of Ni
05-08-2002, 07:57 PM
I agree...the ZX-7Rs look at everyone as if to say "What...you want some of this"?!

yeah, they're heavy,

yeah the GIXXERs are BAD ASS,

yeah they're outdated......

But damn....they still look mean and sexy all at the same time.:D