Sportbike World banner

Windex on visor?

24K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  NDspd 
#1 ·
just wondering if its safe to use windex on visor, or if there is something better that i might have around the house.

#5 ·
Using an old Windex bottle I filled it with one drop dishwashing soap and water. Spray after a ride and wipe off and its good as new. No need to bother with the chemicals.

#6 ·
I use windex all the time. Honda cleaner works well too.

#8 ·
What I do is when my helmet or bike is dirty I clean is with soapy water then I wipe it down lightly with a cloth wet with rubbing alcohol and then apply a coat of RainX. For a good month everything including bugs, grease, or tar comes off very easy with soapy water and it is a great protectant otherwise and if you end up riding in the rain the water sheets right off of your visor. Also RainX makes a product for anti-fog that I put on the inside of my visor and my motocross goggles and it works wonders against fogging up. just my $0.02.....:cheers:

#10 ·
using windex to clean your visor is a bad idea! windex is ammonium-based which WILL make your visor opaque over time! soapy water is more than enough to clean a visor!

they use ammonia for fragrance! ammonia will cause visors to get an opaque quality, makes it cloudy after several uses!

#11 ·
From the Windex site:

... Can I use Windex® on all types of windows and mirrors?
On glass windows, mirrors, and Plexiglas®, Windex® cleaners work great. They're fast and easy, and they cut right through dirt and grime. Just spray on Windex® and wipe it off for a streak-free shine.

If you plan to use Windex® on your tinted windows, test a small area first. Care of tinted windows may vary.

For all of you airplane and helicopter owners, we're sorry, but Windex® is not formulated to clean your LEXAN® windows." ...

I use Dish soap, S10, or Honda spray cleaner and a micro fiber or soft cloth to clean my wind shields/screens/bike, works fine for me. I remember hearing a long time ago that ammonia was not good for plastics as r3yrey said.

#12 ·
Benn using predominently Windex for my whle time riding. I use a helmet for two to three years before I stop using them, and the faceshield I start with is the one on the helmet when I'm done. Never noticed any discoloration or anything.

#13 ·
so i guess it depends on how often you put windex on the visor and how much... cause i was told by one of the reps from vega helmets that ammonia can cause cloudiness or make the visor "opaque".

anyhow, if its one of those $99 helmet i probbly wont care, but for the $400 one, I wont take my chance.... scratch that... visors can easily be replaced! so i guess its no problem

#14 ·
r3yrey said:
so i guess it depends on how often you put windex on the visor and how much... cause i was told by one of the reps from vega helmets that ammonia can cause cloudiness or make the visor "opaque".

anyhow, if its one of those $99 helmet i probbly wont care, but for the $400 one, I wont take my chance.... scratch that... visors can easily be replaced! so i guess its no problem
I don't know honestly :dunno: I am in NC and end up with bugs and junk on my shield every ride. So I'm cleaning my shield after every ride.

I've used Plexxus on occasion, and really liked it. I think they even make a small can, so I may have to look for it.

#15 ·
DanQ said:
I don't know honestly :dunno: I am in NC and end up with bugs and junk on my shield every ride. So I'm cleaning my shield after every ride.

lol.. i live in AL and i go to Mt.Cheaha every weekend to ride the twisties and i swear, it feels like i'm hitting every bug from my house to the mt. and back! so yeah me too, i clean my bike and my helmet pretty often. I guess i'l try using windex or plexus on my visor/shield. I do know that they have alcohol on them so i guess that helps with fogging too!

#16 ·
R3yray, how long do you expect your visors to last? I use windex all the time, and replace my visors once a year because of scratches, not because they are chemically damaged.

You shouldnt keep your helmet for more than 5 years, and I have serious doubts you will see signs of chemical damage to your visor during that time. When its a high priced item like a airplane window, I understand the precations, but on a $35 visor?

Hell, even with a fancy $70 one, I think you will spend more on a fancy cleaner than a replacement shield.

#17 ·
lol i see! i wouldnt worry about it too much then! thnks

btw.. i didnt know youre suppiose to get new helmets every 5 years? ever with no incidents? not even dropping the helmet to the ground?

anyway... I'm new to motorcycling...:eek: i learn something everyday i'm on this forums... thanks for the advice!

#18 ·
r3yrey said:
lol i see! i wouldnt worry about it too much then! thnks

btw.. i didnt know youre suppiose to get new helmets every 5 years? ever with no incidents? not even dropping the helmet to the ground?

anyway... I'm new to motorcycling...:eek: i learn something everyday i'm on this forums... thanks for the advice!
Yeah bro... the reaction from your sweat on the materials in the lining of the helmet breaks down the materials. I sweat a lot, and I'm in NC, plus, I tend to put a LOT of effort into my riding at times. So I change out every two years or so.

It's amazing. Try a new helmet of the same make and size after you have worn yours for a while, and you will see and hear the difference. :thumbs2:

#20 ·
mac020 said:
Also the shell continues to harden untill it becomes brittle.
I've heard about that, but never any substantiation on whether it's UV, chemical, or otherwise.

Where did you hear about that? I'd love to read/hear more because I've asked about it and never got any straight answers

#21 ·
Personally, I use Windex wipes (that I carry with me while riding) and Carl Zeiss lens cloths (designed for glasses and camera lenses). The lens cloths are more expensive, so I only use those now and again. As mentioned before, I have never noticed a problem with any kind of clouding or fogging. This being said, I probably replace my windscreens every few months due to, as mentioned before, scratches and what not, so I guess that I have never gotten to a point that I have used these products long enough to be a problem.

All this, I have heard that Windex can cause a yellowing of plexiglass, but I have never personally seen it. I won't use it on the windshield of my bike however, there I use soap and water only (just in case there is something to it).

I guess that there really isn't anything new in my post other than a confirmation that I have not had any problem using the Windex wipes in the past...they do get the bugs off pretty good. I do like the idea of rain-x on the outside and the rain-x anti-fog on the inside. Going to try and get some of both tomorrow and give it a shot...

#23 ·
if it helps, I know we've solved the question long ago, but i used to work in an ice arena (yep I was a Zamboni driver haha) and I'd clean roughly 200 pieces of plexiglass, and various hockey visors, I used windex by the gallon haha, it is the best thing you can use if you ask me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.