Hand cramps - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Loud412
Hand cramps

I just started riding about 2 weeks ago, and I absolutly love it. The only real problem I'm experiancing is hand cramps. Mostly in my right hand but a little in my left also. Pain is localized to right where the thumb meets the rest of the hand. Just wondering if this is just newbee pain and my hands just have to get stronger, or if mabe my hand position is incorect. My right hand is usualy just my index and thumb on the grip with thte rest of my fingers on the brake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 04:58 AM

Prolly cause of a death grip. Practice riding with your hands open on the grips and no weight on your hands. hold the throttle open with your thumb and forefinger. I'll rest my fingers on the controls. Helps to have a throttle lock or palm rest. But don't use them in traffic or in the twisties.

Also make sure your gloves fit well. Learn to use neutral at the stoplights and while waiting for your friends!

Vashes sponge example is pretty good. I think of a golf grip but that's another story.

Your body will adjust. Lifting weights, areobics, and balance will help with your riding.

A few ccs short of a full litre.

Last edited by mac020; 09-09-2005 at 05:20 AM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 05:03 AM

There are two different cramps you are most likely to expirience. One is on your left hand, from working the clutch, which is something your hand isnt used to. There isnt much you can do about that one, just get used to it.
The right hand, or either wrist, is a case of bad body positioning. You are most likely gripping the bars too tight. Try to maintain a very loose grip. The same you would holding a sponge without squeezing the water out. Your elbows should not be locked. Try to carry your weight with your abs/back muscles, squize the tank with your knees if you gotta. You arms should not carry any weight. Its hard to get used to at first, but once you figure it out, it will be worth it.

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 06:20 AM

Send a message via AIM to slick1537
Quote:
Originally posted by mac020

Also make sure your gloves fit well. Learn to use neutral at the stoplights and while waiting for your friends!

Just curious as to why you would want to rest at a stop light in neutrel as opposed to first gear?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 07:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to DeeOhHCee
If your gonna be at the light for more than a couple seconds, theres no reason to wait in first. Not sure of the exact way a bike clutch setup works vs a car, but when i used to go to the racetrack for vintage days, these old rich guys would sit in there vintage racers at the starting gate with the clutch in. It would heat up ALOT and in some cases almost fry the clutch up.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 08:33 AM

Holding the clutch in with the bike in gear for more than a couple of seconds is senseless. Just pop the bike in neutral. I have never seen a bike clutch get damaged from holding it in, but on cars the release bearing will wear quickly if you often hold in the clutch while in gear for extended periods of time. The release bearing on a wet clutch is constantly bathed with oil so that's why motorcycles won't have a similar problem. Holding in the clutch a lot is a good reason to get a hand cramp. My hands used to cramp from wearing too small of gloves. -Just my
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by slick1537
Just curious as to why you would want to rest at a stop light in neutrel as opposed to first gear?
I think MSF course teaches to leave in gear for a quick getaway Not sure if some of them have ever ridden a Ducati. Holding the clutch for more than a few seconds can tear ya up.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 11:20 AM

In all my yrs of riding I have never, bar probably my first year, held onto the grips with thump & forefinger.

It is actually the wrap of the thumb & hand to only the pinky & next finger that grip to some extent. ALWAYS when in town/city or amongst traffic on the hwys I will cover the clutch & front brake levers with my fore-finger & next finger.

A habit I picked up when in many forms of dirt comp & especially Observed Trials plus when 2-strokes were brought onto road racing & if you were slip-streaming behind one (no fairings in those days) you were darn close & they might have the piston(s) start to try & weld inside the bbl so the 4-stroke rider was facing a locked up rear wheel & the same with the 2-stroke racer so when flat out be you on a 2-stroke or 4-stroke racer we tended to cover the levers.

In honestly I have never had cramps in my hands or any numbing. Still so many yrs of riding tells one a lot.

Another factor is you are riding a slight lean forward riding position bike SO use the muscles of your legs, abs & back to reduce all the weight you are putting on your wrists & hands.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Last edited by Smitty; 09-09-2005 at 11:22 AM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
In all my yrs of riding I have never, bar probably my first year, held onto the grips with thump & forefinger.
Actually meant the thumb and palm!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
ALWAYS when in town/city or amongst traffic on the hwys I will cover the clutch & front brake levers with my fore-finger & next finger.

Same here man, ALWAYS ready to make a move!

Sportbikus-Cephalopodius

JUST SHUT UP AND DO THE LAMBADA B*TCH!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode