First Look: Brand New Yamaha FJR1300 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Robert
First Look: Brand New Yamaha FJR1300

Once upon a time, attempts at melding super sport performance with long-distance luxury usually meant winding up with too much of one trapping - and too little of the other. Heavy doses of sportbike-like manners often dictated minimal long-haul comfort. And if the scales were tilted too much toward the touring side, well, you get the idea. But that was then... and this is now.

Enter the all-new FJR1300, and with it an all-new class of machine: the super sport tourer, where open-class sportbike power and chassis performance meets the luxurious comfort levels normally reserved for touring machines.

Powered by a new-design 1298cc, liquid-cooled in-line four with electronic fuel injection, the FJR's as smooth a runner as it is potent (to the tune of 145 horsepower!), thanks to dual balancers, a hydraulic clutch, scissor-type primary gears to reduce gear noise, and shaft final drive.

Handling, too, is a seamless blend of sportbike agility and plush, dawn-till-dusk comfort, courtesy of an all-new, extra-strong (but lightweight) cast aluminum frame and swingarm, fully adjustable 48mm forks and a rear shock with two-stage preload settings for solo and two-up riding.

Now... top it off with touring touches like an adjustable windshield, hard saddlebags*, super-comfortable dual seat and large-capacity fuel tank.

The all-new FJR1300. Welcome to the world of super sport touring.

ENGINE:

Compact, lightweight 1298cc, DOHC, 16-valve, liquid-cooled in-line four-cylinder engine delivers massive power and torque (145 hp @ 8500 rpm and 93 ft.-lbs. of torque @ 6000 rpm) for an unequaled spread of muscle over a wide rev band.

All-new from the oil drain bolt to the cylinder head covers, this state-of-the-art mill has been constructed using much of the advanced technology found on the YZF-R1 and FZ1 powerplants.
R1-derived one-piece cylinder and crankcase assembly provides tremendous engine rigidity that's lighter and stiffer than two-piece designs.

Engine is a fully stressed chassis member, allowing for a lightweight frame design.

Compact slant-block engine design uses stacked, tri-axis gearbox shafts that help minimize powerplant size while optimizing chassis geometry for a low center of gravity and balanced weight distribution.

Lightweight forged pistons with carburized connecting rods provide superb strength and reduced reciprocating mass for outstanding high-rpm durability.

Patented electroplated ceramic composite cylinder bores ensure greater heat dissipation and thus reduced frictional power loss.
New-design high-compression four-valve cylinder heads are operated by compact, side-driven double-overhead camshafts, and for strong, dependable high-rpm performance the plated cylinders feature oversquare dimensions of 79 x 66.2mm.

Advanced electronic fuel injection (EFI) system is ideal for long-distance supersport-touring, delivering crisp, seamless throttle response in a variety of altitude/weather conditions, enhanced fuel efficiency and instant, choke-free starting.

EFI system features TPS, which monitors throttle position and, in conjunction with a battery of sensors (air intake temperature/pressure, atmospheric pressure, coolant temperature, crankshaft position and engine rpm), ensures precise injection intervals and timing for optimal performance.

New-design, low-vibration crankshaft features two gear-driven secondary counterbalancers with built-in shock absorbers that help deliver a glass-smooth ride with reduced rider/passenger fatigue.

All-new, constant-mesh 5-speed transmission utilizes wide ratios to deliver relaxed long-distance touring performance combined with seamless power and acceleration.

Special scissors-type primary driven gear helps prevent backlash while greatly reducing transmission noise.

Light-action hydraulic multi-plate wet clutch provides smooth, effortless shifting, minimizing both rider fatigue and maintenance.
Gear shift shaft features a needle-roller bearing to reduce friction for silky-smooth shifting.

All-new shaft final drive system is super-durable and virtually maintenance-free, and uses new-design mechanical cam dampers in its drive pinion for quieter, smoother power delivery to the rear wheel.

New-design 4-into-1-into-2 stainless steel exhaust optimizes engine performance across the powerband and features a three-way catalytic converter and Air Induction System, making this one of the cleanest-running large-capacity motorcycle engines ever built.

Wet-sump oil system uses a new, easy-access cartridge-type oil filter mounted on the engine's left side.

CHASSIS/SUSPENSION:

All-new hollow cast aluminum frame, featuring massive, widely spaced twin spars, is incredibly light and extremely rigid, the perfect combination for sharp, sportbike-like handling.

Fully detachable aluminum subframe helps keep weight down while permitting easier rear shock access/maintenance.

Lightweight, cast aluminum swingarm's unique design incorporates the shaft drive into its left side, ensuring superb rigidity with reduced unsprung weight that delivers incredible handling and suspension performance.

Fully adjustable (preload, compression and rebound damping) 48mm front fork with 5.4" of travel provides quick, responsive steering with excellent rider feedback in a wide range of conditions.

Adjustable (preload and rebound damping) 46mm link-type rear shock with 4.8" of travel features a handy, two-stage (hard/soft) preload adjustment lever that allows the rider to switch quickly between solo and two-up settings.

YZF-R1-derived dual 298mm front disc brakes with one-piece 4-piston calipers and 282mm rear disc brake with a slide-type dual-piston caliper provide outstanding stopping power with exceptional feel.

Cast-aluminum 3-spoke wheels wear sporty-spec 120/70-ZR17 front and 180-55-ZR17 rear radials perfectly suited to both spirited solo riding and long-range trekking.

Adjustable, 5-position front brake lever.

ADDITIONAL FEATURES:

Highly aerodynamic full fairing is highlighted by an electrically adjustable windscreen that can be easily raised for greater wind protection or lowered for a sportier profile via a handlebar-mounted switch.

Equally sleek tailsection helps reduce drag and features a sturdy rear luggage rack/passenger grabrail.

Color-matched accessory bags are standard equipment and locks are conveniently matched to the ignition key. Subframe-fitted quick-release luggage mounts provide easy removal.

Long dual seat features two-part construction using different foam densities for the front and rear sections, ensuring plush comfort for both rider and passenger.

Ergonomically shaped, large-capacity, 6.6-gallon fuel tank offers excellent comfort and range, and is constructed of steel allowing for the use of magnetic tankbags.

High-tech instrument panel delivers comprehensive display that includes an electronic analog speedometer and tachometer (both with a lightweight, R1-type step motor); LCD digital odometer, dual tripmeters, fuel and coolant temperature gauges, and clock; and lights for neutral, high beam, turn signals, low oil and engine warnings.

Sleek, R1-type cat-eye dual 12V 60/55-watt multi-reflector headlight throws an extremely broad beam for superb visibility.

Powerful, new-design dual-bulb taillight features integrated turn signals for a slick, one-piece look that's as aerodynamic as it is conspicuous.

Standard toolkit located in convenient storage compartment under passenger seat.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder
FallenHeroesJeep.com Founder
(Who needs sleep?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 04:34 AM

5 SPEED...???

I guess that gives it a good top gear roll-on.....

Suzuki GSXR 600cc track bike. Penske shock, Ohlins steering dampner, Lindemann forks, Sharkskinz body work, Full Yoshimura RS-3 Titainium / carbon fiber exaust system, Yosh digital tach with built in temp gauge, Yosh clip-ons, WRM rearsets to name a few. Motor was built and tuned by G-force racing engines.

Last edited by Cam McFarland; 03-01-2002 at 04:42 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cam McFarland
5 SPEED...??? I guess that gives it a good top gear roll-on.....
Yup. Gotta move one's product up in the rankings (top gear roll-on) at the expense of real world usability! In the endless 'bike wars', I've heard a rap 'bout the Concours being it's top gear roll-on numbers are not as good as a certain competitor (who shall remain nameless). 'Course, they don't take into account the fact the Concours has a 6-speed vs. their 5-speed gearbox. Iff'n you don't like the gear you're in, that's what they make the others for!
BTW, I've seen an imported FJR at Deals Gap last summer and wasn't impressed. 'Course, us 'em folks who've been sport touring for a while have become pretty jaded at the rash of Johnny-come-lately's out there that claim theirs is the 'perfect' blend of what sport touring requires.
Of all the sport tourers I've seen since the Concours was introduced, the only 2 that immediately come to mind as impressing me are the VFR ('bout 2 designs back) with Givi bags, and the now-defunct Yamaha GTS 1000. It's a shame Yamaha didn't see fit to continue with the GTS, but like the Concours, I guess it was just ahead of it's time!
Now that everyone's 'discovered' sport tourers...well, there goes the neighborhood!

All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by.
'Course, if there's a hot tub at the end of a long day in the saddle, who am I to complain?
Concours Owners Group
AMA Life Member

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 06:57 AM
UFO

Regardless of whether it's a good ride or not, it's always good when riders have MORE choices. A little big for what I'd use it for, but it looks like a very nice ride for what's it's made for. I know I love the instrument layout. But why not integrate the front turn signals?

Webmaster -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 10:29 AM

The engine is a peach, it handles suprisingly well and the riding position was fine for me. But the worst thing about it is the quality of finish. Pretty poor by todays standards and definately not a patch on the Honda Pan Euro (old or new).

Better Smeg than dead
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 02:37 PM
Resident Smartass

I want one, but the race bike just keeps saying "FEED MEEEEE!!!"

Suck mean people!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 04:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to Rodm850g
Smile FJ1300 copy

Robert,
Good day to you! It seems I saw the same copy on another page just after 12:00 EST today. We got in a fax this A.M. that it is coming to us.....and to check out their site after 12:00. What we also got from the tuning fork folk is that it wont be til August and when it does come it will be at $11500 plus whatever the dealer decides to add on......There was a Cycle World article about the bike a few months back,ost liked the ride....most of us are into a 6 speed tranny but I'll bet the 5 will do fine in the FJ....My old screen name ssake is but a 5 speed and caries me along fine....
Just wish they were below 10 grand.......cant have everything can we......

damn all this talking/typing crap I'm going riding...
which one
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2002, 05:01 AM

I put my deposit down yesterday. I had been lusting over the Futura and checked with the local Kawi dealers on the ZZR but I think this one is the best mix for me. Come on august!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 10:42 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to minfinger
Thing is, that Bikes has been all Over Europe for a few Years now. I've been drooling on that bike in the Europe Yamaha Page for a long time. It'sa Gorgeous bike, but I've now got my FZ1 loaded up with Givi Luggage, so I'm set

Added:
I just realize something, The Police over in Europe use this BIke as a high speed Persuit Motorcycle. Better hope the Local State Police Agencies don't get wind of that.

Last edited by minfinger; 03-04-2002 at 10:45 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2002, 05:33 AM

after a few 12 hour days in the saddle on the concourse I would be hard pressed to get rid of it , but this bike might be the one. The 145 hp may have something to do with that

that which does not kill us makes us stronger...but may hurt for weeks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode