Sportbike World banner

RS Taichi Vegas one-piece

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  68gts 
#1 ·
For a long time I've wanted to replace my Fieldsheer two-piece. FS screwed me over big time in servicing it once so I vowed never to get another of their products. After a very long look, I settled on A* as most likely the best investment. As I went into MotoLiberty's kiosk at the Indianapolis MotoGP a couple years back, I found an unusual offering of this RS Taichi manufacturer. They make suits in two main sizing styles: American and Japanese. I'm a tall, lean guy so pretty much all gear I'd tried on to date was excessively large in the chest and belly (especially!) while being somewhat short on sleeve and pant length. After trying a Taichi suit on, it was over. It was like a glove. A love affair started, which after a period of pining my wife started showing her annoyance :eyebrows: A good sign.

The Japanese-treated cowhide is exceptionally strong. I'm not sure how it compares to kangaroo, but it does much better than Brazilian cowhide and other imports. Frankly, it is highly sought after for racing. Because of hte special treatments it has many more perforations providing much better ventilation. My first ride with it at about 65F I thought my arms were getting wet despite the clear sky. Turned out it was just so cool they had a similar feeling. The suits are regularly preferred by racers, which provides credence to their claims for ease of mobility and strength of seams.

RS Taichi does sell lower end suits with Brazilian cowhide, but I chased down some used ones with the Japanese cowhide and got one from a WERA racer. Great deal, though the suit is yellow; not my first choice. But I don't regret it a bit. My long-ish trip into work allows me the time to make it worthwhile getting into this at the end of each day and having a bit of fun on backroads without the concerns of roadrash. Also, all the graphics are silkscreened which keeps the weight down and the flexibility up. Now I've just got to slice some time out of my personal life to get onto the track with it. I'm stoked :burnout:

Of course, the spending continues because now my gloves are coming apart (A*s) :rolleyes:

See less See more
#2 ·
I need to look into a new suit. My Joe Rocket one piece has been good to me, but there is more of me than there was when I bought it. Looking for mostly light colors since I hit tracks in the southeast.

#3 ·
Heh. The guy I bought the suit from was built like a linebacker, so he's certainly stretched the suit out for me. Its more loose than if I'd bought new but it was hard to turn down a 75% discount. He'd commented that all his riding partners were having more then a few laughs at his expense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.