Starting the Zed and use of choke - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Starting the Zed and use of choke

My newish-to-me Zed 1200 starts first time on the button first thing in the morning on full choke. However, when I've then ridden somewhere, left it for a few hours and come back to start it, it often didn't start first time and I got a new battery. And given that I've had to be rescued twice because it wouldn't start at all (before the battery change) I've become a bit nervous each time I've come to start it when away from home. I'm hoping that that has been resolved with the change in battery, but nonetheless I'm still a bit concerned though so far so good. I'm not used to having a choke on a bike.

Having read back through starting issues I've found a process that seems to be recommended by some on the forum of turning the ignition on, pressing the starter for a very short period to allow the fuel pump to kick in, turning the ignition off and on again and then starting the bike. I have two questions:

1. Do most of you find that you need to do that process, or should the bike start first time?

and

2. When you've left the bike away from home for a few hours do you use the choke to start assuming weather conditions are temperate?
latest ringtones, zedge ringtones, popular ringtones
Cheers

Last edited by NicoleJS; 12-21-2016 at 09:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 02:41 AM
Super Moderator

Hi! Welcome to the Forum.

I'm definitely in the camp of turning the switches on for a second or two to pressurize the fuel system. As to the choke (only two of my bikes are carburated) it really is situation dependent. But I generally use full choke anytime I start the bike. But if it has been run recently I stay prepared to turn off the choke pretty quickly. The same can be said of the fuel pressurization. Generally, if the machine has been recently run, the system will pressurize when you turn on the switches. But once it has sat for a longer time it needs more.

Make sense?

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
2005 20th Anniversary V-Max (0098/2000) - T boost, Corbin Seat
2005 YZF R6 track bike - Graves full exhaust, Race Tech suspension
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 01:04 AM

I expect that the new battery will resolve the warm start issue. I had exactly the same problem when I bought mine.

I only need choke to start the bike when it's cooler, say below 60. Sometimes I'll add a little choke to keep the idle speed up and stop it bogging when I ride off.

Even in winter, I never need more then half choke to start the bike unless it's been outside on a cold night. I too hate it revving high when cold, so I usually try about a quarter choke at first, then increase it if the engine doesn't start.

I never need choke during the day unless I've left the bike a few hours when it's cold. But I do sometimes have to open the throttle very slightly.
pop ringtones, sms ringtones, free ringtone downloads

Last edited by Emily185; 02-06-2017 at 09:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode