Gunk in the Radiator Cap... oops... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Gunk in the Radiator Cap... oops...

You alright chaps,

been working hard on the ZZR600 E3. I will never fit a Scott Oiler to a motor bike. There is dryed, gunky oil covering everything, absolutely evrywhere.. he must have had it set on 'volcano' mode for the six years he had the bike and never cleaned it...

what a fcking nightmare to clean..

Still it is done, the rear of the bike is mint.(ish) couple of scratches on the swing arm..

I removed cleaned and serviced the rear shock/ linkage yesterday. Couldn't get the upper bolt out from the linkage because the exhaust is in the way...

i notice in the Haynes manual they say "remove the upper bolt see illustration"... the picture conviently shows the bolt being removed easily because the exhausts are on a differentplanetsome where somewhere, no mention in the text how they got there and when they'll be back...

In order to remove the exhausts, i needed to remove the radiator/oil cooler etc.. drained the coolant..blah blah blah..

a good few hours pass...

everything done, go to fill the radiator, now taking the cap right off for the first time (only loosened it to drain the coolant..)and there is some gunge in there.. not loads.. but there it is...

I still havn't actually tried to start the bike, since I've had it...

Carbs have been thoroughly stripped/cleaned/float heights checked/ all jets/airways blown through, no blokages/ refitted..

there was a dark yellow residue in the carbs which i presume was old fuel?and a lot varnishing. also the needle valve in carb4 was stuck wide open.. there was a lot of dirt and the needle valve slides were not moving very freely..

like a hospital in there now... clean as can be..

In terms of the gunge...

oil in the water?

is there anything else that could cause this other than a blown cylinder head gasket/ cracked/warped cylinder head/ blown lower head gasket...
latest ringtones, zedge ringtones, popular ringtones
bear in mind the bike was standing for 7 months..

I am waiting for some Easy start to be delivered.. then I was going to give her a go...

The plugs have been cleaned and regapped, the air filter washed and replaced..

carbs are like new..

probably wont actually need the easy start.. but wanted to be able to isolate fuel supply or engine problem...

what do you think chaps..?

Last edited by Luxion; 12-29-2016 at 10:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode