Votes: 17 8.5%
  • TRIUMPH TROPHY 900/1200

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • YAMAHA FJR1300

Votes: 40 20.1%

Best Sporttourer Update

30K views 69 replies 38 participants last post by  Warputer 
#1 ·
I have a 99 blackbird:) , which I have done a dozen or more 500 mile + days:eek: It has my vote. What is yours;)

#2 ·
Well, based on the last two bikes I've owned, I'd have to definately go with the VFR 800. The Hayabusa is an adequate STer, but needs lots of work in the comfort department. It's geometry isn't condusive to attaching saddlebags, tho it can certainly be done. I'm sure many of those listed are also great STers depending on your needs...but I haven't ridden many of them. I just did a 2100 mile ride on my new VFR and had no comfort problems, and I'm 6' 1" and 235. :D

#4 ·
I've got an FJR, a V-Strom and a Blackbird. All could be considered sport touring bikes but when I think of the class it is the FJR that fits best. V-Strom is a better long distance bike for me and the Blackbird is more refined but the FJR is the best combo for a trip with 500-600 mile days.

#5 ·
I've got a '90 FJ1200 that I consider one of the all time great ST bikes. It's getting a bit long in the tooth for me (I'm wanting something a little lighter with fuel-injection) so next year I'm hoping to get a sleeper ST bike: The Sprint RS. It's got the same sub-frame as the touted ST, but I'm a fan of half-faired bikes. I like to see the motor; what can I say? :D

#6 ·
I jest have one question...

What the hell is a 'Concorse'? :confused:

And at the risk of cornfusing the newbies, one could also put a ZX-9R and ZX-6R in the mix? Sportbikes fer sure (despite what motojournalists like to say), but since they're comfy, no reason why ya can't tour on 'em. Does anybody with any experience believe a sportbike HAS to be uncomfortable?
My 6R's good for 'bout a 3 day tour with nuttin' but a $5 WalMart travel case under the seat. Travelin' light, fer sure, but sometimes ya just gotta get back to the basics! I got the 6R for up to 3 days of backroad tours and warmer weather. For anything over 3 days and in weather below 50 degrees (high for the day), I usually take the Concours. Not that I couldn't do more than a 3 day tour on the 6, but I just hate to hang luggage off it!

BTW, Motorcycle Online last year did a story 'bout the VFR vs. the ZX-6R (Two Unlikely Bedfellows: Inline-four vs V-four Sport Touring). Believe the final winner was...well, depends on what ratio of sport/tour you want!
http://motorcycle.com/mo/mccompare/touring/01vfr6r.motml

Since the VFR seems to have taken a step backwards this year, and the 6R has remained the same...

#7 ·
I've been putting alot of miles on my Blackbird this year. For me, it's nailed what I want for sport-touring. I've already done several 7 to 9 hour rides, some with 3 Givi bags and a wife, some just me and a tankbag. Now that my Corbin is in, I can't wait to try another trip.

I considered a VFR, but for the same money I got WAY more power, and enought room for my wife. Ergos aren't that much different, especially now that I've ordered some VFR handlebars. Did I mention it's got WAY more power than most sport tourers:D

#8 ·
Let's not forget the ZX-12!

Although it ain't my bag o' tea, I plumb forgot how Mitch (aka 'Honda') Boehm (Motorcyclist Magazine) was just blown away by the fact that the much improved new ZX-12 was lighter than the new VFR!
Iff'n HP is yur thing (and it seems to be by lots of folks in here), well...VFR vs. ZX-12? Fuhgedaboutit!

Looks like we're missing a lot of good candidates in the poll...

#10 ·
Huh?

bbirdxx2000 said:
...you normally don'nt see sporttouring bikes at TRACKDAY'S:eek:
Dunno what that's supposed to mean. I'm assuming you're saying folks are carrying ZX-12's to track days? Nuttin' wrong with it, but to me that's like carrying a Blackbird to a trackday (OK, maybe not as bad). Not really a track bike, but if the ZX-12 can do it, that's just another in the plus column for it!
A sport-tourer that can do track days: I see nuttin' at all wrong with that! If you're going to include the VFR, I see no reason why the ZX-12 wouldn't be included. Is there some reason having less weight and more HP than a VFR would eliminate it from being a sport-tourer?

BTW...nobody ever told me what the hell a Concorse was yet... :confused:

#11 ·
We need to determine what a sporturer is:) Or put priortities in order

1 comfert
2 no vibration
3 windprotection
4 siting upright

basicly being able to do a 500+ mile day and being able to stand upright:eek:

I have been on both a ZX12 and a VFR the VFR hand down as far as my list is concerned

#12 ·
bbirdxx2000 said:
...basicly being able to do a 500+ mile day and being able to stand upright
Well there ya are! I've done a number of 500 mile days on my 6R, no problem (47 yrs. old). I'm sure the 9R is equally adept, and I find it hard to believe the 12R has a more radical seating position than the 9 or 6R!

I have been on both a ZX12 and a VFR the VFR hand down as far as my list is concerned

My list? OK...NOW I'm gettin it!
The poll should read 'Which Bike Does bbirdxx2000 Think Is The Best Sport-tourer'! :rolleyes:

#14 ·
The best bike is whichever one hits that grin factor you. Personally my 89 ZX-10 is the best for me fast, handles pretty well and can be ridden all day. I just can't get into xxx bike is the best for this or that nothing personal just too many variables.:D

#15 ·
right on the head.....which one you like, is the best bike, just not a trike, thats not a bike! My wife kinda like,(gasp)(what!) A bike has two wheels, how can u lean, what ever do you mean, never to lean?, obscene!:D

#16 ·
I agree!! Grin factor is the major denominator here! Ergonomics is heavily weighted with "Did I enjoy riding all day on my bike" or "man, I own a dog... :(". Yeah, my bike is heavy, but it'll do just under warp 9, and it is no less fun in the twisties.

When I get through riding my bike, as long as it leaves me wanting to crawl back on tomorrow, it is the best bike in the world!

#18 ·
Best Sport Tourer

I own a Kawasaki ZRX 1100 and a ZX12R. I have done a 3,000 mile camping tour to Utah on the ZRX with soft luggage and a tank bag and it was absolutely terrific.
The ZX12R is much more comfortable to ride than I would have thought, but luggage space would be a real problem. The monocoque frame pretty much eliminates tank bags, and magnetic ones will not work. My saddlebags will not work on the right side because the Akrapovic pipe comes up too high, and what little room there is under the cowl is used in part by the Power Commander III.
But, IF I was motel touring, I think I could use the left hand saddlebag and the top one and be OK. It would be weight unbalanced to the left, but it is heavy enough that I doubt it would cause a problem. It would look a little odd as well, but why would I care?
Now, if I had the time and money to try it.....

Dave Preston
Cycle Barn :)

#19 ·
I voted Aprilia Falco, 'cause I own one and love it... Consecutive 300 mile days aren't a problem, and I have a back that's bad enough that I had surgery on my spine.

But there is no *best* Sport Tourer... It's all about where you fit on the Sport~Touring continuum and what you are looking to get from your bike. You could Sport Tour an Ducati 998 simply by tossing a set of bags over the pillion and leaving the house. A couple Brit nutters even went coast to coast on a pair of them in the frikkin' Cannonball Run last year! That's a 6000 mile ride, and they hadn't even turned around to go home!

It's all about what fits your desires for performance, comfort, luggage type/capacity, looks and feel...

ZX10 said it very well:
The best bike is whichever one hits that grin factor you. Personally my 89 ZX-10 is the best for me fast, handles pretty well and can be ridden all day. I just can't get into xxx bike is the best for this or that nothing personal just too many variables.
Scott :)

#20 ·
I had an 85 BMW K100LT that I liked the seating position but its worse vibration/buzz was right around 55-60mph.Extremely smooth at 70,but not too practical around town.The first summer,I thought it had a coolant leak on the left side as my left pant leg was wet after a days ride.Turned out it was sweat from all the heat of the cylinder head being on that side.(The engine is an in line 4 laid on its side and parallel with the frame.)
I now have an 95 ST1100 with helibars,Corbin seat with Butt Buffer.Very smooth engine,good torque,about as comfortable as the BMW.(I need to sit up right due to back problems.)My only gripe is its weight.Not felt at speeds,but when pushing the bike out of the garage.
The ST1300 looks good to me,but still heavy.I understand it will still be awhile before they arrive at the dealers due to some problems.All the writeups say it is more touring than sport vs the FJR1300 .Has anyone received this bike and got some time on it?

#21 · (Edited)
Need to add Aprilia Futura, Honda ST1300, and Ducati ST series to the list. Some, like the Falco and ZX12, are more sport bikes than sport tourers. A true ST should be able to take you on 800+ mile days that consist of something like this: 300 miles superslab to get to a great road, 200 miles of flogging that great road and 300 miles of more superslab to get to your destination...all while carrying full luggage and possibly a passenger. At no time should you (or your passenger) feel fatigued or sore and at no time should you feel unconfident in your bike's abilities in all situations. That's a great sport tourer in my book. I rule out things like the ZX12, XX, Hayabusa, Falco, etc. because I know I would get too fatigued/sore and I would have a difficult time with luggage space and/or passenger accomodations. I rode on a friend's Futura for a day and found I could easily keep pace with the Gixxers and R1's in my group (repli-racers are out of their element on ALL public roads. They do only one thing perfectly: pushing 10/10ths on a race track. It took me years to finally figure this out.) Some good riders pulled me slightly on their repli-racers...at first. They inevitably get fatigued and, within an hour or two, I found them disappearing in my rear view mirrors, sloppily trying to keep up. At the end of the day I felt refreshed and ready for a long night-ride while my buddies all wanted to go home and sleep forever. That's when I discovered what a real sport tourer was all about. :)

#22 ·
Kawasaki ZR-7 with the Kawasaki hard bags by GIVI, ProGel Grips, Corbin Saddle with backrest, and SlipStreamer Sportshield....all for under $6,000 US...Not the fastest, (not the slowest either!), easy to work on (not that you need to work on it!), and it gets 45-50 MPG two up....it's bare bones, no frills sport-touring.....I've done Deals Gap on a three day 1,600 mile trip without a wimper....

If I had the money? I'd have me one of those FJR1300's...I rode an old FJ1100 back in the day and loved it! <sigh> if I could only win the Lotto!

:crying:

#23 ·
Got to sit on an ST1300 in the showroom today. Dash reminds me of the Concours and my knees hit the faring but if you are normal size it should offer a bit more wind protection and better pillon comfort than the FJR. Noticably heavier off the side stand than the FJR. Paint has a bit of a purple tint to it, undecided on that. The closer fit of the side bags and fairing to the tank and frame do give it a bit more of a finished/integrated look than the FJR.

#25 ·
Re: Best Sport tourer

gsx-in the city said:
I previously owned a hayabusa. I want somthing with comparible power but hard luggage and better 2 up comfort. Something that does 0-60 in under 3.5. Any suggestions??
For power comparable to the Busa with better 2-up comfort, you're pretty much limited to Boeing's F/A-18D Hornet. :rolleyes:

But, for getting to and from the airport, check out the Yamaha FJR1300, Kawasaki ZZR1200, and Honda ST1300. All do 60 in under 3.5 (the Honda just barely) yet have hard bags (optional on the Kaw).

#26 ·
Re: Re: Best Sport tourer

DataDan said:
For power comparable to the Busa with better 2-up comfort, you're pretty much limited to Boeing's F/A-18D Hornet. :rolleyes:

But, for getting to and from the airport, check out the Yamaha FJR1300, Kawasaki ZZR1200, and Honda ST1300. All do 60 in under 3.5 (the Honda just barely) yet have hard bags (optional on the Kaw).
LMAO!!:D

Hey Dan what does an extended warranty run for one of those hornets?!?!?!:)

I was not aware that the ST1300 was that quick. I must say that I do like the Yammer 1300R. I'm a little skeptical though. I've never owned a Yamaha. But I suppose that they make a good machine because everyone who's owned R1's and R6's that I know has been happy.

Once again thanks for your time:cool:
Cheers...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.