Sportbike World banner

bike runs fine, won't idle

12K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  SuperTTR 
#1 ·
ok, well for those of you who have been following my other thread and have helped me out, thanks! The 80cc finally lives! I put the seat and tank back on and rode it around a bit and it ran just like years back. However, there is a problem with that. Even before we let them sit for forever, the 80cc would not idle on it's own. If you don't keep revving the motor a little, it will die. It's a four stroke, so why won't it drop to idle without cutting out? The actual throttle...the metal plug thing that goes down into the carb...that seems to be a little far down and it might be choking it out. Is there any way to adjust the throttle just a little to have it sit just barely above it's current spot so it will idle on it's own? If I can get it to idle alone, it'l be in perfect shape again (once we clean off all the years of doo doo on the exterior, of course) :)

Thanks for all the help, guys! The thing would still be sitting with a frozen throttle and old fuel, etc. if it weren't for you and the forum

#2 ·
Nice to hear you got it going again. It sounds to me like your idle screw is turned out too far, it should look like a screw that is made to turn with your fingers and it should have a spring on it that you can see... it'll be sticking out of the side of the carb. Just turn it in a bit untill it idles and you should be good to go!... I guess it could be a clogged pilot jet too but if you cleaned it already then the idle screw is your best bet.

#7 ·
:-/ :( dumbness again...I'm not sure I have any other jets? And what plug do you mean...like the throttle? The little cylindrical plug thing/throttle that drops down into the carb is just metalic/gunmetal colored with a gold/brass colored needle-looking guide piece on the bottom.

sorry I'm not very well-versed when it comes to bikes:rolleyes: :crying:

#8 ·
Hey don't worry about it. We all have to start somewhere. I am not even close to having the knowledge my boyfriend has. Hopefully he chimes in sooner or later. The plug=spark plug. Check the tip of it. It SHOULD be a carmel color if the engine is jetted properly, if it's lighter in color the bike is lean, darker the bike is rich.

#9 ·
You should be able to get a basic idea if there is still a carb problem by pulling the choke up a little bit when it tries to die. If it stays running with the choke on a little bit there is a good chance that some air is leaking in somewhere like connection between the carb and the engine, or the low speed (pilot) jet is still plugged up.

When a bike sits for a long time the deposits that form in the jets can be so hard that you need to use a small wire (like a welding tip cleaner) to clear the junk out.

By all means go down to the Honda shop and buy the factory manual for the bike. It's the best money you can spend and it will help you get comfortable with the names of the various parts and more importantly how they fit and work together.

Good Luck :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.