How often should I lube/oil my chain? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2001, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

How often should I lube/oil my chain?

I've got a f4i with only 250 miles and was wondering how often do you guys oil/lube your chains? and with what? Is the stuff at Honda ok, or is there something better. Also what kind of oil do you recommend for it? thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 10:04 AM
Pete

My rules: Lube every 300 miles, clean and lube every 600. This may vary depending on riding conditions. I'll hit it more often if I've ridden in the rain, or traveled down dusty roads.

There are gadgets out there for cleaning and lubing, such as the Grunge Brush and Z-Oiler, respectively (check out www.compacc.com to see these). I have heard people speak highly about both of these.

The most often recommended do-it-yourself method entails cleaning the chain with a rag soaked with kerosene. With the rear tire up, on a stand, hold the rag around the chain with your left hand and spin the tire backwards with your right hand. Done this way at respectable intervals, there is usually never a need for brushing. If there happens to be some stubborn crud, a toothbrush will work well. Just rinse it off really well before using it on your teeth again. The chain will clean up easier if it is warm, so do this right after riding. Don't ever try this method of cleaning with the bike running and in gear; there's a few people around who can no longer count to ten because of the outcome.

For lubing, take your pick. There are specialty chain lubes and waxes galore. Some people prefer lube, some wax. Buy one of each and make up your own mind. Or, follow the Honda manual and use gear oil (just use the soaked rag method to apply it to the chain - you don't want any lube getting on the rear tire).

You'll hear a lot of people telling you to never use WD40 on an o-ring chain because they claim that WD40 will seep past the o-rings and dissolve the packed grease. Probably not bad advice given all the options.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 10:25 AM

I use Maxima chain wax but I'm embarrased to say the intervals.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 10:29 AM

Gonna start a controversy... again.

Ok, here we go.....

If you have an "O" ring chain it will need lubing.... never. The high impact and high temp grease installed in the factory will last the life of the chain. In fact, using a chain lube on an "O" ring chain can have just the opposite of the desired effect because many contain solvents that attack the O rings. Even if the lube is O ring friendly it can catch real small bits of dirt and carry them into the chain's innards along with any lube that gets in. Also, anything that is thin enough to get past the O rings is thin enough to wash out that super good grease put in at the factory.

If you must clean yer chain (if ya don't spray it with gooey lube dirt won't stick to it) the rag with kerosene is a good option as mentioned before. But never use any kind of a brush! Not even a toothbrush! Those bristles damage the O rings and even push bits of dirt into the chain's innards.

Ok, I know I'm flying into the face of current thought and conceptions about chain lubing. And I don't care... I've got over 10,000 miles (many of them track miles) on my little Ninja and it hasn't even needed adjusting yet! I do NOT lube or clean my chain.

Of course, if you have a bike with a non O ring chain..... buy a new bike!!!!!

When I was young and in my prime,
I used to ride all the time.
Now that I'm getting old and grey,
I only ride once a day.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 10:58 AM

I have an 01 12R, and I have to lube my shit every 400-500 miles. Damn it.

Dragon Slayer
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 03:50 PM

Errrrrrrrrrr.... ummmmmmmmm....

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonSlayer
I have an 01 12R, and I have to lube my shit every 400-500 miles. Damn it.
Try eating more green veggies? Or become a mathmatician and work it out with a pencil?????

I only ride once a day.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2001, 12:02 AM

Question

Bikenut, interesting. . .

What do you do to your chain after it rains or gets wet and washes the factory super lube off?

Need More Rear Wheel Horsepower
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2001, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

Bikenut,

Do you or anybody know if the 01 F4i has this "O ring chain" you're telling us about?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2001, 06:18 AM

Wet .....

Quote:
Originally posted by Need More RWHP
Bikenut, interesting. . .

What do you do to your chain after it rains or gets wet and washes the factory super lube off?
Please understand that I'm trying to say this in a non derogatory manner? It is a common misconception that because no lube is seen on the outside of the chain the inside of the chain also has no lube. With an O ring chain there can be no lube evident on the outside yet the O rings sealed the grease inside the chain so the chain is still full of lube.

I don't do anything to my chain after it gets wet. And there isn't any rust on it either. However, if ya are concerned about exterior rust, you could carefully (keep yer fingers the hell out of the sprocket!!! and don't use the engine to spin the rear wheel!!) wipe the chain down with a rag soaked with motor oil.

Riding in the rain doesn't wash out the grease that is sealed inside the chain by the O rings. When washing the bike care must be taken to not direct high pressure water onto the chain since the pressurized stream of water can force it's way past the O rings. Most home water pressure sent through a garden hose has enough pressure to force it's way past the O rings.

Ok... all the stuff I just said pertains ONLY to O ring chains. If ya have a non O ring chain I suggest ya lube the snot out of it about every 3rd gas stop in good weather and more often in wet weather.

Rather than try to answer several inquiries about what kind of chain specific bikes have let me suggest just calling your dealer and asking.

I only ride once a day.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2001, 09:38 PM
F4i

Re: Bikenut,

Quote:
Originally posted by MGordon
Do you or anybody know if the 01 F4i has this "O ring chain" you're telling us about?
so, anyone know the answer to this...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode