How are the Zx7R's?? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

How are the Zx7R's??

I'm planning on buying a new (probably used) bike this summer, because my F3 is just too small for me (6'1") and I'm ready for a little more power since I got 15K miles experience on a 600. Anyway, I had my heart set on a 02 R1 or 954, but I highly doubt that I can afford either, so I thought of one of my favorites, the zx7R. I always loved the large style body and especially the wide front end, but I don't know anyone that owns one, so I'm just curious about how owners like 'em (comfort, reliability, enough power?). The most important thing is the WEIGHT issue! Does it really seem that heavy? My F3 is about 420-430 lbs. wet, so I'm not riding the lightest bike right now, but I've seen stats on the net that listed numbers as high as 540 lbs. for the zx7R's.

I appreciate any comments, thanks!

I'm developing the "work" pill. You simply pop 1 on the way to work and before you know it, you're on your way home from work without missing a beat! It's kinda like pounding brews, but you won't wake up with a fat chick or a fat lip, & you get paid too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 06:43 AM

Kawasaki lists the dry weight as 448# for the
2001 ZX-7R..... that puts it into the 500+# range
wet (I suppose).
The 2001 ZX-9R is listed at 404# dry....Cant beat
the 9R for comfort....

Suzuki GSXR 600cc track bike. Penske shock, Ohlins steering dampner, Lindemann forks, Sharkskinz body work, Full Yoshimura RS-3 Titainium / carbon fiber exaust system, Yosh digital tach with built in temp gauge, Yosh clip-ons, WRM rearsets to name a few. Motor was built and tuned by G-force racing engines.

Last edited by Cam McFarland; 01-08-2002 at 06:48 AM.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 07:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to shannon
Quote:
Originally posted by Cam McFarland
Kawasaki lists the dry weight as 448# for the
2001 ZX-7R..... that puts it into the 500+# range
wet (I suppose).
The 2001 ZX-9R is listed at 404# dry....Cant beat
the 9R for comfort....

Fuel is about 7 pounds per gallon. The 7 is slooooooooow. No hope of a pwr wheelie what so ever. get a 9

AFAM and K&N stickers added for more ponie power
post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shannon

Fuel is about 7 pounds per gallon. The 7 is slooooooooow. No hope of a pwr wheelie what so ever. get a 9
Thats makes about 35# for gas, how much for
oil & battery....gas alone gets us to 485#

Suzuki GSXR 600cc track bike. Penske shock, Ohlins steering dampner, Lindemann forks, Sharkskinz body work, Full Yoshimura RS-3 Titainium / carbon fiber exaust system, Yosh digital tach with built in temp gauge, Yosh clip-ons, WRM rearsets to name a few. Motor was built and tuned by G-force racing engines.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 07:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to Kevlar7R Send a message via Yahoo to Kevlar7R
Shannon, the 7 is Not slow. Perhaps you were slow when you rode one. My 7 Does power wheelie now that I've dropped to a 520 chain and a 46 tooth rear sprocket.

The 7R is probably the most stable sport bike on the market. You don't need a steering damper on these things. If your into rolling tricks such as Crossover, Switchback, Christ, etc... The 7R is the perfect choice. More then any of the other sportbikes, the 7R just wants to go in a nice straight line. I've ridden Christs down to nearly stopped. The 7R is very forgiving, because it is so stable. That stability also helps in corners because it turns in, rather then falling in.

Anyone that tells you the 7R is a "bad" bike doesn't know what they are talking about. Sure, it looses in straight line top speed battles, but whats the fun in going straight anyway? My bike tops out around 150 MPH since the gear change. I can't see any reason for me to be going faster then that. I keep up with all but the top racers in our riding group. How fast you are in the curves has very little to do with which bike your on. (Unless your riding at racing levels)

Something else I have noticed after watching myself on video, for the same speed, same radius corner (i.e. following someone closely) my bike is leaned far less then an R1, 9R, etc.. I think it might just be the geometry of the bike, but you have more useable lean angle on a 7R then on other bikes. Not to mention that the 7R has very comfortable ergonomics. There is not too much pressure on your wrists, so you can ride all day on the 7R. The 7R is a great bike. My bike turns more heads then a lot of the other bikes in our group. People love Kawasaki Green. Nothing says "FAST" quite like green.

The 7 Is heavier then other bikes. The only time you'll notice is if you have to pick it up off its side. And if your dropping it that often, you have other problems. It is Strong. My 7R slid headlong into a berm at 70 Mph. Bent the inner fork tubes, and the front rim. Everything else was cosmetic damage. Plus you get Kawasaki reliability. Enough said on that.

Don't get a 9R. They don't feel like a sport bike. It feels like a standard to sit on it. If you want a standard, there are better ones then that. The 9R can be a good sportbike, but you need rearsets, and clipons right off the bat. Might as well get a bike you can enjoy the day you bring it home.

Finally, the 7R is cheaper on insurance then a 9R or R1. Most insurance companies base your rate on displacement.

Hope this helps. Good luck on your new bike.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 07:50 AM

I cant think of anything nice or constructive to
say so I wont.....

post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 08:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to shannon
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kevlar7R
[B]Shannon, the 7 is Not slow. Perhaps you were slow when you rode one. My 7 Does power wheelie now that I've dropped to a 520 chain and a 46 tooth rear sprocket.

My 7 isn't slow now that Im running 12000 rpm going 100mph because of a sprocket change

Look Im not ragging on you, but the bike is slow. It's a lead sled.
It won't come close to keeping up with a 6r let alone a 9r.

Hey Cam, I think oil and battery are in the dry weight. I always assumed "dry" jusy meant no gas.

AFAM and K&N stickers added for more ponie power
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 08:38 AM

I went from a Gixxer 750 to a 7R and never looked back. The 7R is a riding experience second to none. If you can get a good price for a used 7R go for it, you'll never regret it. All other bikes come and go, but the green monster is here to stay.

Big brother is watching!
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shannon

Look Im not ragging on you, but the bike is slow. It's a lead sled.

Hey Cam, I think oil and battery are in the dry weight. I always assumed "dry" jusy meant no gas. [/B]
Shannon,
I am not positive, but I thought they took those
items out for the dry weight....anybody know???

I also left out the coolant as well..

Dont forget all the neigh sayers that call the
9R a lead sled also, Shannon...haha LMAO

Last edited by Cam McFarland; 01-08-2002 at 08:50 AM.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 10:27 AM

As I understand it dry weight does not include oil, but does include the battery. Who cares the 7R is beautiful in my opinion classic styling and a great chassis. My best friend has one and I have tooled around on it a little around town, and I love it. I'm 6'4" 210 lbs and it was plenty comfy for me. Lets not even mention the engine is bullet proof.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7r.jpg (55.7 KB, 695 views)

South Central Race Center
Dunlop, Bridgestone & VP Fuel
www.scracecenter.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode