Help an old member out.....UK bike question - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Help an old member out.....UK bike question

You guys probably don't remember me, so I'll give brief summary

Bought an FZR
Sold FZR, Bought R6
Crashed R6, bought 996
Crashed 996, bought Ducati Monster 900
Sold Monster, bought Ducati 748

Sooo...

I live in the States, in Wisconsin. I've been riding for years now, and no, those crashes weren't my fault. Wear your gear, btw... the last crash was a head on impact with an elderly driver at freeway speeds, we were both doing at least 80 and I spent 7 months recovering from those injuries.

I'm now transferring to London for school, and probably the UK permanently. I'm desperately in love with my bike, and I'll be probably selling it here and picking one up over there.

Here's the problem, and the question. It's a multiparter

1: Whats with the bike prices i see? My '01 748 runs around 4,000 USD over here, and I'm seeing something like 3,500 pounds for the same cost over there, which would be about 5,600 dollars. If I went for something newer, or a dream bike ( 998, the last line of the 916 frame bikes, and Ducati's best bike ever ) I'm spending the equivalent of 13,000 US dollars for a bike I can get here in the states for 7,000.... nearly a twofold increase in price.

Sooooo, am I just not seeing the true prices? Or are the Ducati's, or bikes in general, just insanely more expensive in the UK?

2: Anyone know a method of shipping bikes over to the UK from the USA? Because if it is cheap enough, I'd just ship my girl over here, or buy that Sport Classic 1000 I want that my shop has up for about 5,500 USD, since they're about 10k over in the UK.

That's about it. Just trying to figure out if I'm seeing proper prices here. I've been looking on MCN and biketrader uk mostly, and googling a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 09:44 AM

thanks for share the information, i have not been London, & have no idea about it
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 07:37 AM

You would think that bikes would be cheaper in the UK . . .

If not ~ maybe try Greece or Spain ?

Red, *<(:{)-

1998 Prostar West Super Gas top ten.
1999 Prostar West Super Gas Champion !
2000 NMRA / Prostar Pro E/T runner up.
2001, 2002, & 2003, NMRA Pro E/T Champion !
2004, Pro E/T #3, 2005, & 2006, Pro E/T runner up.
2007 Pro St. Legal #6, NMRA Pro E/T Champion !
2008 Motorcycle Drag Race Assoc. SS Champion !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 10:54 AM

Importing a bike from the US is gonna hit you with customs fee's and they'll most likely take the UK value of the bike and tax you on that. You could purchase a bike at a deal in the US and have someone gift send it to you with their info but average rates I think are like 500-800$ for freight.

www.sportbikeworld.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode